Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Big Brother

It has been one of my greatest pleasures this year to see my oldest son mature. I have spent seven years reminding him of his manners, prompting him to remember his responsibilities, pointing him to Jesus. This year something beautiful has happened. He is standing on his own in many new ways. He reminds ME when it is library day. He sees when I am overly tasked and offers to play with the baby. He asks his teacher how he can help her when he sees a need. He remembers his manners on his own (usually). He truly is an extra caregiver for the younger ones, and I never really asked him to be this way. I can't find a word to describe how it feels for me to see my child consistently embrace and apply whatI have taught and prayed for.
It is one of the greatest joys in my life and I am so thankful to the only One that can give my children a soft, obedient heart. I certainly can't!
Tonight my husband is at youth group. I was exhausted by the end of the day. As I was laying out the children's clothes for tomorrow I had to tell the baby that I could not read to her. She knew exactly who to find. And before you know it, this sweet moment happened. Precious ending to our day.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Love it! Hoping that happens around here some day....

Hyperactive Lu said...

How sweet! Beautiful post!

Wendy said...

So sweet and what a picture to treasure!

I feel the same way about my son, it has been one of my greatest joys seeing him w/his sisters as well.

Paula said...

Really sweet picture!! Oh, I have those same hopes and prayers. It will be a joy to see that day.

MorningSong said...

So precious!! I am seeing glimpses of this too. HC offers to help JB when I am not able to jump at his call. Truly a blessing.