Saturday, November 03, 2007

Three IS a lot!

"I shall now have one mouth the more to fill, and two feet the more to shoe; more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure for visiting, reading, music and drawing. This is one side of the story to be sure, but I look at the other. Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God, and the body in which it dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation, my other darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to your mother's heart, welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her life-long prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, how wondrously blest!" Elizabeth Prentiss

Sometimes having 3 children completely overwhelms me. I'm not gonna lie, it can require more energy and patience than I think I have. Having a baby in the house after four years can be a challenge. After all, our four year old dressed himself, pottied himself, buckled himself in the car, put his dishes in the dishwasher, made his bed...well, you get the picture. Lately, I have been presented with challenges that I hadn't yet faced since having my third born. Flying with two rambunctious boys and a toddling girl. Taking three children of different ages and needs on vacation. Homeschooling a preschooler while keeping a little one happy and driving carpool twice a day for the other one. The tasks are difficult and mentally and physically consume me each day.
BUT... the blessings are endless. I was reminded of that truth at the dinner table tonight. My little girl wanted to be held, held, held this afternoon. As I plopped her into her seat for dinner we began to play a little game to satisfy her. We began to ask her questions like, "Are you sweet?" "Do you love your brothers?" "Are you a fan of Daddy's hat-head?" Silly questions. And she played right along. She would shake her head no for a few questions, and then randomly shake her head yes. Her comedic timing was impecable. My boys were laughing so hard that they couldn't eat. My husband was laughing. I looked around the dinner table and our family felt so completely wonderful and as-it-should-be. All of the exhaustion left my body and I began to laugh, too. What would we do without our little girl? I'm sure our house would be neater, my hands would be emptier, thus my body more rested. There would be less whining and more outings. But absolutely none of that can compare to the endless amounts of love and joy my little ball of spunk has brought to this house. God is so good to remind us just when we need it of His unfailing love and His constant provision!

4 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I loved this. I am right there with you. Three is tough some days, but I have no clue what we'd do without little D!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Oh I smiled as I read this post!!! You are SO RIGHT!! It's hard but it is such a blessing! I don't know why.....but it seems that the "hard" stages seem to last longer with the third. I don't really know why but I really just blinked and my other two were "little kids".....this one....she's a one of a kind!! She blows my mind each day! But it's definatly NOT just "another mouth to feed"!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this quote! I love that book... I remember exactly who said that and when. :)

Three IS a handful! It's quite a transition! And at 12, 10, and 5, it is still a challenge. Sometimes I feel like our family is split in two a lot of the time, but John and I have always tried to stay far-sighted enough to stay hopeful that this third one will be the delight of our lives, even to a greater degree than he already is. It's worth the effort, and the blessings are plentiful, as you said.

Lydie is beautiful!!

MorningSong said...

So true!!! We were just enjoying our two entertaining us at dinner the other night. I felt so proud of their love for each other AND that they were having fun together. It is so fulfilling to have those moments. Knowing that things are sinking into their little hearts and seeds are planted. What a gift!