Saturday, November 03, 2007

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

"The most holy service we can render to God is to be employed in praising His name."

John Calvin

This year we are spending Thanksgiving with my side of the family. We will not be at my Mom and Dad's house in my hometown, but in a log cabin at a State Park. My mom, thoughtful and kind as she is, is not one for tradition or creativity. So I am brainstorming ideas to make our day special and worshipful.

For starters, I am going to begin a journal for each of us to capture our thankfulness throughout this month. It will be interesting to see what the boys record. I am praying for more than Star Wars and candy.:) The boys will both be learning about the first Thanksgiving in their school lessons. Next, we will create our own decor for our log cabin. Just the usual, placemats, bowls of leaves, nuts and other things from a long nature walk and a Thanksgiving banner. And finally, I am developing a song list for the day. Hymns and praise songs for my husband to lead on the guitar, along with verses of thanksgiving.

My heart is so full of praise and thanksgiving. The creator of the universe loves, cherishes and delights in me (which is almost too amazing to believe!). Even amidst a mountain of earthly blessings, what more could I need? His grace is sufficient for me! Do you have any ideas to make Thanksgiving more special?

1 comment:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I don't have any ideas, but this post began to get me thinking about how I want to spend this month. Thanks! Your heart is clearly overflowing with gratitude.