Saturday, November 17, 2007

Those wretched medical bills!

This picture has nothing to do with the post. Her little spunky tights and shoes and chubby legs just make me laugh.

Well...the garage sale was a semi-success. We made $250. But...I am waiting on a neighbor to come and look at our double stroller that is priced at $50. I would be much more excited with the $300 that I prayed for! Either way, thank you Lord for needed money! This will make a (small) dent in our medical bills. And I have 30 or 40 items to post on ebay after the Thanksgiving holiday. I am hoping they will sell BIG!
There is a fine line in following my conviction to be Proverbs 31ish and "consider a field and buy it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard" versus completely obsessing about money and trying to be THE provider. I am perfectly content and blessed to have my husband providing for our family. He is smart and strong and talented and does his job very well. But then, I want to use my time and energy and talents well for the sake of our family, particularly when we have unforseen needs. Balance. Doesn't it always come back to prayer and balance? Titus 2 says, "...train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." It is exciting to pray, "Lord what does this look like for MY family? Show me the way and I will walk in it." Looking forward to the balance that the Lord will provide as I seek Him. Do you ladies do anything in particular to "cut corners" or supplement income?

5 comments:

Wendy said...

that is great! i hope your neighbor buys the stroller.

Wendy said...

I forgot to ask you if you got my info. on running?

How has that been going?

Anonymous said...

So glad you made $250. Thank you for that post! Came at a perfect time... I wish I could say I cut corners well, but lately I feel as though I don't. I think its just because we need so much right now. Winter clothes, birthday, Christmas, new baby....yada yada yada I feel as though I'm spending money constantly!

Abby said...

You constantly amaze me at how deliberate you are about things. It never occurs to me how much I hope to make on ebay sales, for example. I think it is so great that you have such a good sense of planning and goal making. I feel like a jellyfish just sort of floating along! I just sort of take what comes as inevitable and then I do a lot of complaining and/or panicking if it gets bumpy! I have friends who have started their own business with stationery or sewing or who watch other people's kids regularly or who sell for Southern Living or Pampered Chef etc. (which would be my own personal hell, I think). I just can't figure out how I could possibly spread myself any thinner, which is how I'm guessing your life is too, so I just trust that this is just not a season where I need to be buying and selling fields, so to speak, and that God will provide in other ways. Not sure if that is helpful or not, because I am guessing you want some practical ideas. I hope you find a good fit. For me, the best fit has just had to be to be confident that my lack of entrepreneurialism is not a failure and that God really will take care of things even if it is the eleventh hour and I have super anxiety that checks will bounce! So far they never have, and that is providence indeed!

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you are doing a great job. I have been married for 16 1/2 years now, and I still lack balance in the way that you are describing. I find that in my efforts to be a better manager, I get very stressed and anxious, scheming and obsessed. I wish someone could tell me exactly how I'm supposed to walk the line between trust and presumption; between being well-prepared, and taking control. Like you said, it must be a matter of prayer. Even then, I must be careful that I don't come to God and simply "worry aloud" instead of truly praying when I am in that state of mind! Sometimes I think to myself, "if I would just do what I know to do, consistently, I wouldn't have these problems and all these questions." It's the same ol' thing... "the good that I would, I do not... and that which I would not, that I do."

Well, your prizes this week are marvelous! I absolutely love the chandelier, and little rocker is precious. Jack has a little red one, and it will be a treasure to hold onto for his kids, too, one day.

The pics of the kids are beautiful...
and so was the busy kitchen, mess and all! :) Makes me want to sing..."This house is a good mess, it's the proof of life..."

Hope you had a great thanksgiving.