Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Frugal thanksgiving and a new best friend


Here's a picture of my frugal Thanksgiving basket for Jaybird's teacher. I admit, I found the basket at a yard sale. But, it was new, confirmed by the plastic wrapping. It cost 25 cents. The pumpkin muffins were made from scratch all from our pantry, except the canned pumpkin, on sale for 49 cents. The bath salts were on sale for $1 at Wal-Mart. I threw in a few tea bags that I already had from my own stash. And the thanksgiving card was left over from 1999 when we invited all of our family members to our house for Thanksgiving (to share that we were pregnant with Jaybird). All in all, a fun way to say thank-you to a wonderful teacher for less than $2.


On another note, here is a picture of Lydie's new best friend. We named her first doll "Melly". She kisses, hugs and drags her around for hours at a time. They go in the rocking chair, toddle around the house, and play with her play kitchen together. Through out the day she hugs and kisses her over and over again. Melly is a symbol of all that is beautiful and endearing in little girlhood.
In case there is no time to post tomorrow before we leave for the holidays, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope it is full of family, yummy food and deep, rich thanksgiving to our Savior for the many blessings He has provided.
Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Abby said...

I am so jealous that Lydia plays with dolls! I have never been able to get Amabel to like them. I started early with Elspeth. I got her a doll for Christmas last year when she was 3 months old. You know how we pray there will never be a day that our children don't know the Lord? Well, I decided that I didn't want her to know a day without a doll either! Ha! Anyway, so far it is working in as much as she loves her doll and hugs her (or more like joyfully tackles her when she sees her), but she isn't playing with her like it sounds like Lydie is. Anyway, is it a Baby Huggums? She's a classic!

I like your Thanksgiving teacher basket too. I am still working on mine, I figure I have until 10:30 tomorrow morning- the time I have to leave for the Thanksgiving play at school!

Hyperactive Lu said...

So sweet! What a wonderful Thanksgiving basket! Thanks for the book recommendation. We have looked it up on Amazon...wanted to thank you again for the encouragement! Happy Thanksgiving!

RHB said...

Lydie and her baby are too cute! Give her a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

I still remember Claire's first doll, too... it was little, just her size, like Lydie's, and looked a bit like her, bald head and all. :) Your picture reminds me of the days...

I still have my first baby doll, too, she's sitting in my room. Her name was Sissy, which is how I said "Crissy," which was the name on the box. :) Her hair is matted, and she has had "surgery" on her soft body more than once, but she was ALWAYS my favorite. Whenever I see her, I remember that I am living out my childhood dreams...

So, so sweet...