Sunday, January 25, 2009

A sweeter treat

When Jaybird was a toddler, he was prescribed occupational therapy once a week. We would travel anywhere from 15-45 minutes to a therapist and then home with daily exercises. This routine went on until he was five. At that time, I became his "therapist" because the medical bills were insurmountable. He never officially "graduated" from therapy, we just simply had to stop going. Since then, we have enrolled both Jaybird and Toot in many therapeutic forms of exercise disguised as fun classes. We have tried gym, sports skills class, swimming, baseball and basketball.

This season Jaybird has continued swimming lessons that began in October (he hopes to be on a swim team in the spring) and has played basketball. I am indescribably proud of him. Playing team sports for him is like asking a child with dyslexia to read in front of the class, or worse, an auditorium full of people. Jaybird has sensory integration disorder and motor apraxia. Motor apraxia is a diagnosis often given to stroke victims. These people have difficulty getting messages from the brain to their bodies, especially with alternating sides of the body. As you can imagine, Jaybird would often rather avoid sports altogether.


Tonight is J's last night of basketball practice, preparing for his last game on Saturday. As usual, Upward sports has not disappointed him or us. We have been overwhelmed with gratitude towards one coach in particular. He has formed a very sweet bond with our little guy. J is mostly the slowest one, almost always at the end of the pack. Most of the games he has not even had the ball long enough to make a shot. But he tries very hard, and more importantly, he listens. This man basically took my son under his wing, without ever knowing about his motor apraxia. He sometimes ignores the rest of the boys to take the time to gently correct him and demand him to push himself harder and harder. They always seem to be together. And what I appreciate most is that this coach has never given up on Jaybird. At last Saturday's game, he caught J after the game and showed him a new move. He was alternating bouncing the ball under each knee with each hand. A globe-trotter-ish move, if you will. J watched closely, but had no clue where to begin. So Coach said, "Go home and get your Dad to help you. If you can do it at practice, I'll give you a candy bar. If not, you have to watch me eat the candy bar." Andy and J practiced for an hour with no luck. Andy said this skill was just too difficult for him right now. But they would continue to practice and get it eventually.


So tonight at practice J will watch Coach eat the candy bar. Oh well, he deserves it as much as Jaybird, if not more. The encouragment, hope and love he has given to J (and indirectly to us) is much, much sweeter!


**Updated: He did earn the candy bar! This kid never ceases to surprise me. Coach took J's face into his hands and told him how proud he was. Unforgettable!

4 comments:

Abby Hutto said...

That about made me cry! How tender of the Lord to give your son such a persistent spirit and a desire to work hard to overcome his weaknesses! I'm so thankful to serve a God who makes us more than conquerors in Christ Jesus. Please tell Jaybird that we are very proud of him!

Tiff said...

So, so sweet!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. My husband is coaching Upwards this quarter, so that makes it even sweeter. You hope that the effort makes a difference, you know?

I came by tonight to tell YOU something, though:

because of your encouragement several weeks ago on the ballet post, I decided to make an effort to allow Claire to move forward in her ballet. This required a move to a new, more disciplined and thorough company with a ballet school connected to it (Georgia Ballet, you can google it... I'd love to hear what you think...) and of course, as a result of the move, there will be more driving and time involved.

But I did it - and she auditioned today! She was nervous because she was afraid she would have learning gaps. But she seems to have done well... she didn't feel confused or behind, and the director came out and told me that she was smart and quick, and picked up things easily. They are going to consult and call me tomorrow. The director seemed satisfied - but I just have no idea. Whatever she says, I'm thrilled just to hear that Claire could hold her own in the Prep. 1, which is right about her age level right now.

We are both excited, and I'm very proud of her for wanting to challenge herself and for realy working so hard for so long, despite the distractions of the other company. She was sweating and smiling when she came out today, saying that she broke a sweat half-way through, and that was exciting to her! Funny girl.

On the other hand, this is a bit of a leap of faith for me because my husband's business isn't doing as well as it has in the past (whose is, these days?) - and I'm torn between praying that God will provide the money for the kids' lessons (which we are cutting back on, limiting it to piano for Courtney and ballet for Claire), and then feeling guilty for even being worried about that when so many kids are starving - or dying.

In an unexpected turn of events, our piano instructor (also our music director at church) graciously and happily told me that the church pays her to teach our kids and she wants to continue to teach Claire piano "on scholarship" because it is a pleasure to her to teach them.
So that is a rich blessing... and I know that God will provide exactly what they need. He knows better than I what that is, too. Still, I want to be wise, and hold our blessings with open hands. It's hard to let go... I hope I won't have to, but if I do, I hope I will be willing and gracious about it.

Anyway, I just couldn't wait to tell you thank you for your encouragement. I think I really needed to hear that, to "wake up" and realize that I CAN do this. As it turns out, the drive is not as bad as I thought... it is certainly do-able. And if Courtney stays in her choir for the rest of this year, it is just around the corner - same time frame and everything (and it is already paid for). So I'm feeling confirmed in this direction...

And now if God will only provide for the mortgage, bills, and food, we'll be all set!!! ;) ha ha...

Thanks again,
Jen

Paula said...

YEA!!! I am crying. That is so sweet. I love J's determination. Our love and encouragement is what pushes our children beyond what is thought possible. What we can't do...God takes over! (Maybe by putting others in their paths.)