Saturday, January 03, 2009

A little sick

I have baby fever. It's a really severe case. And apparently, it's not contagious.

What's a girl to do? Heart sick. The thing is, I know I have been guilty of counting the months until the baby can walk, talk, fill in the blank with the current "inconvenience". On the other hand, I try very hard to be in the moment with my children. But I don't succeed all the time. Mothering a baby or toddler is trying and challenging when balancing the rest of the children and house (with little sleep).

But, truly, what better thing do I have to do with my time? Sometimes I dream of what I will accomplish when I am a little more independent (or they are a little less dependent), but what is more thrilling, fulfilling, and eternally valuable than mothering a child?

"Just one more...one more?", I ask. Until the fever spreads (if it does at all), I'll hold my three sweethearts a little tighter. They are such treasures!

"I shall now have one mouth the more to fill, and two feet the more to shoe; more disturbed nights, more laborious days, and less leisure for visiting, reading, music and drawing. This is one side of the story to be sure, but I look at the other. Here is a sweet, fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God, and the body in which it dwells is worthy of all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation, my other darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to your mother's heart, welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her life-long prayers! Oh, how rich I am, how truly, how wondrously blessed!" ~Elizabeth Prentiss

2 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Does this mean that you'll have another sweet baby?? I hope so! You guys are such amazing parents, more children need to have you as they're parents!! :)

Tiff said...

I know the feeling. I already feel sad about the last little one. What will I do? But then I have a couple of empty nesters in my life who are loving the seasons and really living in them (and now they have g'babies!). Time flies, right! Besides, adoption is always an option.