Friday, January 02, 2009

My quirky, slightly pathetic, delightful day

Last Sunday evening, as Andy and I were picking up the house after our week of company, he surprised me. Completely out of the blue, he whispered, "You get the whole day tomorrow to be away from home. Leave at 9:00, return around 4:00." After kisses and thank yous, I did what any organized-dreamer-normally homebound-mom would do with the prospect of an entire day alone- I made a list.

Would you believe I was at Starbuck's for 4 hours completing the tasks on my list? I actually loved it. Especially the time I spent reading. For one morning, I was the lady with the coffee and the book. I was the one reading in an overstuffed chair on a Monday morning, as if I hadn't a responsibility in the world! I also enjoyed carrying a briefcase (my husband's) and working on his laptop. Between the dressy clothes (I always dress up when I am away from the kids) and the laptop, I was the professional-with-no-agenda-lady. I had time to dream into 2009, plan two months of lessons, and blog, among other things. If the other professional women knew that these were the items on my agenda, I think my false identity would have caused a revolt.
Afterward, I spent an hour at the Jiffy Lube having the 12,000-mile-old oil from my husband's Jeep changed. I think they must have needed a chisel to get the corroded engine clean. But I didn't mind, it gave me an excuse to leisurely read, uninterrupted. I also caught a few minutes of tv. But that was not a plus...day time tv makes me depressed. On this particular day, the topic was breast implants. If you are like me and never turn on the tv before 8pm, trust me, we are much better off.

Moving along, with barely 2 hours to spare I had to make the choice between a quaint lunch at a cafe OR shopping with my birthday money. I chose the latter and buzzed through a drive-thru. Here are my mementos from my day away:

Finials and birds seemed to be the theme for the day

My first cloche. I feel like I should join some club. This beautiful, new store's owner combines her love of home and garden to create unique, beautiful pieces. Under the glass is moss and a faux bird's nest on an antique white plate. It was love at first sight, for me.

I wanted these little trees so badly this year for the front porch! They have lights and stand in black urns! But I could not afford the original $79.99. Alas, they were marked down to $19.99! Can't wait to use them next year!I also hit the used book store and thrift store, but came out empty-handed.

And that's what I did with 7 hours alone.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

My kids are now old enough to be left alone when I need that "away" time, but I remember those very special get-aways that my own dear husband allowed me, and they made all the difference in the world! But to get a surprise out of the blue like that! What a lovely gift! And you used it perfectly!

Jennifer said...

I love that you sat at Starbucks and made lists... that is totally what I would have done. : )

Jennifer