Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The discipline of reading

Each year I enjoy books more than the year before. But I am not a bookworm, by any stretch of the imagination. My oldest child is a bookworm. He fascinates me. No matter how many toys we have, none of them hold a candle to the entertainment he finds in a book. He is a people-person, too. Funny combination, huh? He will lay down a book for a conversation, a fun outing with family or friends, or to play outside. Otherwise, his nose is always between two pages. One time he asked me if Stuart Little was an interesting read. We had just watched the movie. I had my childhood copy of Stuart Little, so I handed it to him and told him to find out for himself and let me know. The next day by 10:00 am he had his answer! He had read it cover to cover, and yes, it was better than the movie. Sometimes we let him pick out a book at the bookstore and he reads it before we get home.




I, on the other hand, have to force myself to pick up a book. I do not have a burning curiosity for books like my son. I would much rather be decorating a corner of a room, writing, or planning. But I am determined to continue to read daily for pleasure. I like what reading does for me. For one, I like to continually have my worldview broadened as I learn about different people, cultures and beliefs. I appreciate the beauty of a paragraph well written. I need to continue the habit of quieting myself for a half hour (or more for a really good book). I like to escape into another world from time to time. And I like to be able to use the term "life-long learner" without being a hypocrite.


I had the CRAZY goal of reading 4 books a month last year- one fiction, one non-fiction, one theological, one parenting/homeschooling. I did not come close to meeting my goal. So this year, my goal is to read every day. This reading goal does not include reading from the Bible or my devotional book. If you know me, you know I always carry a book in the car. I like to take advantage of red light/traffic time. Obviously, this slow and steady concept will be difficult for me!





Here are my first four books on my "waiting" list:
~Mere Christianity (again)
~Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
~Grace-Based Parenting
~Gulliver’s Travels


Here are the books I read in 2008(with a * for the ones I really loved):
~The Purpose-Driven Life
~Searching for Eternity
~The Swan House
~Captivating
~Don Quixote (wretched)
~A Life That Says Welcome (*)
~Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God (*)
~Bold Love (*)
~The Dwelling Place
~Wife in the North
~The Highly Sensitive Child
~Pilgrim’s Progress
~Crazy Love (*)


A Book
by Edgar Guest
“Now” - said a good book unto me -
“Open my pages and you shall see
Jewels of wisdom and treasures fine,
Gold and silver in every line,
And you may claim them if you but will
Open my pages and take your fill.
“Open my pages and run them o’er,
Take what you choose of my golden store.
Be you greedy, I shall not care -
All that you seize I shall gladly spare;
There is never a lock on my treasure doors,
Come - here are my jewels, make them yours!
“I am just a book on your mantel shelf,
But I can be part of your living self;
If only you’ll travel my pages through,
Then I will travel the world with you.
As two wines blended make better wine,
Blend your mind with these truths of mine
.“I’ll make you fitter to talk with men,
I’ll touch with silver the lines you pen,
I’ll lead you nearer the truth you seek,
I’ll strengthen you when your faith grows weak -
This place on your shelf is a prison cell,
Let me come into your mind to dwell!”

1 comment:

Paula said...

You sound a lot like me. I so want that bookworm thing, but i don't. But I do enjoy a good a read when I have one. I think reading a little every day is a great goal. Maybe I should try that.

I LOVE your daughters outfit. Those were both childhood hero's to me!! :)

Your son sounds great!