Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Wishlist

The children are all cuddled around Nana this morning in the other room. I woke up early and find myself 15 minutes ahead of schedule. So, here I am.
I have some pretty exciting items to purchase for the second half of our school year. Here are the first five things on my wish list!
A Child's Geography: the selection that makes me most excited! (We finished our first geography book. The kids can name and locate the continents and oceans. They also know basic map skills. Time to dig a little deeper!)

Hymn's for a Kid's Heart- beautiful stories to go along with our favorites. We already learn a hymn each month. Why not supplement with this beautiful book?
Ancient Egyptian Art-for more in-depth information on our favorite ancient civilization.


Raising a Modern Day Knight- for Andy to read. The cover and title are a little cheesy to me. But some ladies that I admire gave the book rave reviews.

A new English book for the kindergartner that begs for a challenge.

Mostly all supplemental choices. Except for Toot's Grammar, we are staying the course. It has been so much fun! There, I got all that down with 3 minutes to spare!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have the hymn book - 2 of them, actually. They are wonderful. When we began homeschooling, we also joined the church we currently attend (that was when the girls were in 2nd and 4th grades and Jack was about 2). We had been in churches with contemporary music up to that point...
and suddenly I realized that they did not know the words to any hymns, and they had never held a hymnbook.

YIKES!!!!

I was grateful to find a church right at that time that has a WONDERFUL children's music program AND where there are hymn books in the pews. But until we got to the point where they were familiar, the hymnbook you listed here was a Godsend.

I am going to check out the grammar book. Jack's curriculum is expanding, too, and so far he is doing much better than I expected. My goal was to HIT THE BOOKS after Christmas and get him very, very used to routine and consistency. I think it has helped. I found some random writing, reading, and gramamr books that seem to be working well enough together, but I'm always on the lookout for "it." :)

Thanks for sharing. Let me know how you like the Geography book! I SOOOO love Ann Voskamp. She is incredible.