Thursday, September 27, 2007

The virus has spread...

Five low points from the day: :)

1. Cleaning vomit off of the floor in the meat department of Kroger, fast and feverishly, as people steered their carts quickly in the other direction.

2. Cleaning vomit off of the sink in Kroger.

3. Staring at vomit clumps in the sink and wondering what in the world to do? My children have never vomitted in public!

4. Watching Lydie bug vomit for the first time. The poor sweetheart looked confused and beside herself with fear.

5. And the lowest point, which you shouldn't read if you are weak in the stomach or not a mom, is when I stared back into the sink and did what any panic-stricken mom would do in such a situation, I used my BARE hands and shoved those little clumps down the drain. Then I scoured the sink with paper towels and soap. Then I scoured my hands and her hands, legs and face with soap and paper towels. Then I stripped her down to her diaper. Then I left. Then she threw up in the carpool line...

9 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh dear...I hope tomorrow is brighter for you...and cleaner.

MorningSong said...

Oh, sweet Lydie bug!! Get well soon!

Olive said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Lydia! And poor you for having to deal with that in public. Not being a mom I couldn't imagine, but it had to have been awful and a bit panic-y. I'm so sorry! I'm praying for a speedy recovery....

Hyperactive Lu said...

Oh no! I hope she gets to feeling better!

Anonymous said...

OH my GOODNESS. If it were me, I'd would have barfed due to all having to clean barf up.

Poor sweet baby. I hope she is better soon.

When it's all over and she is well, I think you deserve a spa day.

lori said...

OH...the first throw up is soooo hard to watch, they are SO scared!

This is Lori, from Jennifer's blog, stopped by to see what time I should pick you up for that lyrical class...:)
always room for one more!!

good luck tomorrow...
peace,
lori

Jackie said...

Ohhhh, poor family. I can relate to that feeling of helplessness. My six-year-old threw up in his seat in our borrowed car. I had NOTHING to clean him up with, so just drove on home with the nine-year-old daughter next to him hyperventilating into her chip bag.

I guess these are the moments that we will look back at and laugh? Um . . . maybe?

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. Not a good day. It's always the dilemma... when one gets sick, do you just hibernate for 2 weeks until you KNOW the rest won't be sick? Life STOPS when someone gets sick, plus, you find yourself anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop... for example, in the carpool line. I feel your pain!!! Some days feel like they will never end... you forget what "normal life" is like! Your body hurts with weariness! (do you hear the dramatic background music?) :)

It is so pitiful when the baby gets sick. They are so confused, looking at you so trustingly to help them! They don't understand to warn you, or lean over a bowl! It's awful. I remember that so clearly, feeling so helpless... and so DOOMED! :)

This is getting long, but I have to relay this story... the Christmas my sister-in-law was newly widowed, Jack was about Lydie's age. Claire had been sick, but John was convinced it was "just something she ate." (Which it has NEVER been, in 12 years, but okay.) We told everyone our concerns, they said come anyway. It was just a daytrip. We put Jack down for a nap. When I went to get him, he was covered in vomit and proceeded to throw up every 30 minutes, horribly, it was awful, for hours. There I was, exposing this new widow to the flu at Christmas, along with her 2 children. And yes, they did get it at some point. And yes, I felt like the devil himself. And THAT has made me the paranoid mother that I am today. Quarantine, anyone?

Wendy said...

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope things are going better now.