Sunday, September 23, 2007

Her first birthday




I wish I could post pictures of the birthday girl!!!
The birthday party for our little lady was very sweet. As Toot was running a fever on Thursday and she is cutting four molars, I was not expecting the best moods from the children. But to my surprise, everyone was healthy and had a ball. We enjoyed having our family all together at our house more than words could express. What fun!

I haven't had the bittersweet little cry that I usually have when my children turn one. I am waiting still for it to hit me that we have no little baby any more. But I have thought a little about how this little girl has impacted our family. Lydie has at times been a complete mystery and also at times felt like a little mirror looking into my own heart and soul. She has brought laughter and joy and exhaustion all at once. Her determination, femininity and intelligence are so amazing and beautiful. She is like a little ten year old trapped in a one year old baby's body. My man and I got a good laugh when she at first rejected her birthday cake. I knew just what to do...go and get a fork. After all, she is 12 months old, she seems to say. With the help of the fork and her cousin, she took a liking to it. She imitates everything that I do...combing her hair, putting my keys in the door lock, rubbing her hands together when we approach a sink, washing her hair, etc. She is very slow to show affection, making her loved ones work hard to win her over. But once she loves you, she loves passionately and deeply flooding her loved one with hugs and kisses and words that she is sure you can understand. She studies people and her surroundings, staring intently. She seems to have every stereotypical girl trait. She is emotional, she loves new clothes and shoes (she said, "OOOOoooo!" as she opened presents with clothing), she loves pretend, and even loves to be dressed up. When she holds her bears or baby dolls and I say, "Rock your baby! Love the baby!", she rocks and squeezes and kisses them affectionately. And she has her Mama's interest in people, waving and saying, "Hi!" to each stranger that we pass in public. She is complicated and strong and lovely and petite, all at once. I could not have chosen a more amazing daughter and I adore her, completely.

Some days, I wake up and still can't believe that we have a daughter and two beautiful boys. All I can say is, Thank you , Jesus! I feel so deeply thankful and honored for the priviledge of parenting His children. I pray that my inability and emptiness and ignorance as a Mama will send me to the fullness and abundant love and grace that only He offers. Happy birthday, Lydie bug!

2 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

You are the birthday queen. I wish you'd lived closer and I'd hire you for services :) You do a great job with the decor and cake. Looks wonderful!!

I love the note about your daughter. So sweet and sincere.

Happy first Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I have the inversion of your three... two girls, then the boy. I love the contrast, don't you? They are so very different, from the moment they are born. No one had to teach Jack to be a boy, no one had to teach Lydie to be a girl! It's amazing to me to watch, and I find myself reveling in Jack's "boy-ness," just like I'm sure you're reveling in Lydie's "girliness." It's a beautiful thing...
And now begins that wonderful phase of childhood for you! I love the years from 1-3. So much to learn, so much cuteness going on! :) Enjoy!