Monday, September 10, 2007

A much needed surprise

Twice a year I clean, iron and tag all of the children's used clothes from the previous year and send them to a local church for a consignment sale. It is a LOT of hard work to make them look their best, but I make enough money this way to buy the next season's clothes. (Usually $300-$400) Well, this week is consignment week. Last night I stayed up until 2 am tagging clothing and making an inventory sheet. This week will be tedious and I will get little sleep. The two times a year that I commit my self to this seeming insanity, I am challenged in every way. I begin to beg God for little sweet ways of showing me His hand amidst the mess and work. This morning it was a beautiful sunrise that drew me closer to him. And this afternoon, it was a college student from our church. He is the nicest guy that my husband and I both adore. We have had him over to our house many times this past year and he and my husband go to a local pub several nights a month. He is like a younger brother to me. Well, tonight he came to help our family out at the last minute. I have a meeting and we realized it is our family's night to help out at the homeless shelter. (Just mentioning homeless shelter makes us sound so pious. We would probably never have the gumption to seek out this opportunity on our own. A friend at church organizes it all, and we just pick up food and serve. Just thought I would mention that as I read over it and see that it paints a picture of us that is inaccurate. We only serve there two or three times a year.) Anyway, our friend Peter is taking my place. As they were getting ready to leave the Lord blessed me through this dear friend. They called me into the kitchen and my husband said, "Okay, what's the plan again for tonight?" I knew something was fishy because he doesn't need a plan, being the free spirit of our family. As I was questioning him, I turned around and saw these on our table, snuck in by Peter. It was so encouraging I almost cried:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to the little things!!! I know what you mean about pious. I always question the line between strong conviction and sounding arrogant to people. Especially people who may read without knowing you personally. Blogs are difficult in that way. So much room for conjecture and misunderstanding. I however, know that you are who you say you are. open about your faults, willing to seek change. That is christianity. Not just the sparkling accomplishments. Enjoy your night!!!

Wendy said...

Way to go on the clothes! Hope it goes well.

What a nice guy!

Jackie said...

Awwwwww!

Hyperactive Lu said...

That is wonderful for the clothes! I have been saving all Bubbie's for the next and I am in luck- we're having another boy. I might do the consignment sale this next time though... Enjoy your evening!

Olive said...

Awww, what a sweet gift! That's so fun that your husband has him in his life (and that he has your husband in his!) and that your boys can see yet another Godly man in their world- what a blessing!

MorningSong said...

Wow! He is learning early!! Love it! I have not joined the chaos of consignment here! Back in BR we had stores and I seem to always miss getting in on the big sales here!

Hope all goes well for you!

Glass Half Full said...

SWEET! :)

Lori

Olive said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you weren't upset or put off. I was so nervous and bummed that you might be! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I was just about to head to bed, but I read your sweet, sweet comment today and I had to stop by and say thanks... and here, I read you're having quite a week of your own, too! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop a kind word. I'm so glad you enjoy the "visits."
Hey, and I see you also enjoy Dove... mmm... my favorite, too... maybe we are "kindred spirits!"

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

you've inspired me to give this consignment sale thing a go next year! I've signed up once but never actually did it.....so I hope it goes well!!