Monday, August 04, 2008

Stench of death

This afternoon Lydie and I were both grumpy. Even though the heat and mosquitoes usually make me more irritable, we decided to take a walk around the neighborhood together. There is nothing like a walk with a toddler to cheer you up! Every single little thing is conversation-worthy. The rocks, the mailboxes, the chirp of the birds...she wouldn't let me miss a thing. And I was encouraged by her eager plea to "let me see, let me see!" when I spotted something first. Even the heat and bugs couldn't take away her joy.
Moments like this with my children inspire me to shake off the stresses of the day and keep looking ahead in excitement. Keep wondering what's around the corner. Keep having eyes that are eager to spot His blessings. For me, this anticipation starts with changing my perspective.
My life is not perfect right now. There has been a constant stench of death this year. Not only with family and friends that have passed away, but even with relationships. We are all image-bearers, but also dust. We are reflectors of His glory, but also made of human, sinful flesh, as the Lord keeps reminding me. I guess it's time to just go to bed and rest well for a new day. Tomorrow's goal: To know Him more and more

2 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Amen and Amen, sister! I'm with ya ALL the way!

Great goal! You can do it!! :)

Just take one moment at a time and remember to make lots of pauses at Jesus' well for a cool and refreshing drink -- especially when life does not seem to allow you the time to do so. It will ALWAYS be worth the time!

Your entry reminds me of what I just read right before I checked your blog.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." ~ Col. 4:2

I LOVE that order! Being watchful and thankful are the overflow that cascades from our hearts after prayer!

This verse just seemed like what you described about your walk with your little sweetheart and also your goal for today.

Hang in there, I am praying for you, sweet girl!

Anonymous said...

I can really identify with your words today. I share your vision.

I love taking Jack shopping (in short spurts!). Everything is "funner" when seen through his eyes, and he always makes me laugh. I will miss that... the days are fleeting, and already I am seeing them disappear too quickly.