Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Dry well

I'm all locked up in the bedroom taking a break from my three little ones. (My mom is here and playing with the boys while Lydie sleeps.) I am exhausted from birthdays, guests, traveling, meetings, and mommy work. I am feeling overwhelmed wondering if I am this tired at the end of the summer...how can I begin the new school year on Monday? Most tired moms will send their children to school on the bus Monday morning, in fact all of our neighborhood friends will be doing that with the exception of one. Lord, where will the energy come from to end this crazy, albeit fun, exhausting summer and enter a year of home schooling? I truly have no idea. But, I love this quote. Even though right now even one more task sounds like too much, I am inspired. All I know is to trust the Lord to provide His water of life where the well is empty.
“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” ~ Anna Quindlen
*Pictured above: the energy-zappers

2 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Beautiful quote!

I think realistically, we just have to plug through each day and pray just asking that the Lord help us appriciate our kids...beyond that, I know that we will indeed savor the memories after the fact, and I do think that's just the nature of the beast.

That's why being a grandma will be SO FUN!! You can really savor each moment since you don't have them 24/7!

You, my sweet friend, are so GREAT at making TONS of amazing memories each day with your kids! Your blog is a living testimony to that!

It's days like today that you can remember that you have to fully rely on Him Who is able, since we are just not. It's easy to forget that when you are full of energy!

"You have a unique message to deliver, a unique song to sing, a unique act of love to bestow. This message, this song, and this act of love have been entrusted exclusively to the one and only YOU." ~John Powell

Hang in there!! May your well be filled to overflowing as our beautiful Savior tenderly picks you up and restores your energy.

Anonymous said...

I love that article - I have it sitting at my fingertips on my desk.

I also watched the Chapman family's interview on Good Morning America (if you didn't see it, it's at his website, Stevencurtischapman.com) - and boy, if that doesn't make you think, nothing will!

I hope you get lots of rest and feel perky and motivated come Monday! Is it really that time of year again? I always feel like the first day of school ought to feel like fall. It so DOESN'T. Oh, the HEAT! Might as well do school - it's too hot to do anything else!!!