Saturday, August 02, 2008

Our school room

Today I had to buckle down and do all of the things I have been putting off. I finished the school room and I am happy with the result!
Our school room is in the basement with NO WINDOWS! I love sunlight, so I made up for the lack of light with lots of vibrant colors. This is what you see when you walk in the room.
A closer view of my book jacket project. I really love the way this wall looks!!
This is the left wall. The wooden shelves were hand-me-downs from my best friend. Aren't they great?
A closer view of Lydie's corner.
The table and chairs are in the center of the room. This is where the learning will take place! That great table is another hand-me-down, same friend. It's an old, oak table from a Sunday school room. It is sturdy, long and has lots of little cubbie holes.
This wall is what the boys will facing from their chairs. I bought the little storage shelves and snazzy red garbage can today.
Remember our motto? (Learn, love, serve) I found these fun buttons today and added them to the outside of each word with a little Velcro to add a little pop.
Look! I even picked up my books on reserve at the library! If you are studying Egypt and you live in my county I apologize in advance.
Last wall. The piano and some of the boys' toys all neatly stacked. I'm enjoying that while it lasts. This picture is a close-up of that curtain rod across the wall. This is a simple artwork display. These are two of Toot's pictures from last year. They love seeing their stuff up on the wall. (I'm pretty proud of the watercolor (on right) He calls it "The Storm". See the boat and the dark blue paint underneath is the boat's shadow.
Well, that's the room. Notice there is no chair/area for the teacher. And I need a dry erase/flip chart combo that costs more than I can afford. Oh, and where will I hang our beautiful maps? Oh well, now on to lesson planning!

4 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

As I was pouring over each picture in your school room I caught "the bug" again! You know the one...the special excitement that every teacher gets right before a new school year! Ya, I'm pretty sure that you've got it too after seeing the AWESOME school room!!

I can hardly wait to hear all about how your kids like it and all that they will be learning about!

Now, will your sweet pea just sit for hours and play by herself as you teach the boys? That's impressive!!

And that school desk! That's PERFECT!!

Like I have said for years, you have the most beautiful gift of decorating. You can make and ordinary room into an extraordinary masterpiece! :) Affordably to boot!! :)

Many life changing memories will be made in that beautiful school room that you lovingly poured so much into...

Well done, sweet girl!

Heidi said...

There are so many wonderful things about that cheerful school room, but my two favorite have to be the book jacket collage and the curtain rod with clips for artwork. The color would make me happy even on the dullest day. Nicely done!!!

If you send me a photo of your book jacket collage (or post a close-up on your blog and I'll copy it), I'd love to post it on my blog.

kw said...

Love it! Ikea has great kid stuff. This looks like such a fun place to learn!

Gina said...

What a great room! I love the blue too. It looks like a fun place to learn and grow!