Sunday, May 04, 2008

Our "new" family room

Project complete! Last night we had a bit of an ordeal painting our family room. We can not paint these days until the children are in bed because of our active toddler. So, we opened the paint at 8:30 and I decided that the color would not do. It reminded me of the shade of my "pancake make-up" that I wore on stage in ballet. The brown was so awful. So I had to make a trip to the paint store. I returned at 10:00 with the loveliest shade of tan. But...this time we loved the color, loved the way it complemented our furniture, but hated the way the robin's egg blue accents looked with it. So, I had to make a plan B. I was N-O-T going back to the paint store. And I was determined to complete the room. So I found a new inspiration piece and replaced the blue accents with red. Let me forewarn, these pictures are terrible. I had a crying baby on my hip, so I had to move quickly! Here's my inspiration:(the colors are much more vibrant without the flash of the camera)I fell in love with this painting in Jackson Hole last year and my Dad bought it for me and had it shipped to our house. So it is very special to me and I am so glad to hang it where I will look at it often.

I had to repaint my frame red. Here's what it looks like above the mantel with some other new accessories. Although I will probably play with the way our mantel looks over the next few weeks, I love the way it turned out.Here's that entire wall (this paint color is more true to form. I took this pic during the day without a flash):

My silhouettes found the perfect home on the adjacent wall. This wall has two windows with our armoire in the middle, so this little wall space was perfect.Aren't the little hangers cute that I found for the ribbon at Target? Here's what I put in the wall space at the other end of the wall.Here's the other wall. (taken at night with a flash)And this wall is blank.
I am creating a unique collage of pictures and other little wall hangings. This wall will be a work in progress over the next couple of weeks. I pulled those little red accent pillows out of the linen closet. I am so glad that I did not get rid of them!
Voile, our new family room. I only spent about $50 on this room (not including the sofa). I had everything I needed except the white platter, a stamp for the platter, paint, and some hooks. For those of you that have asked, not including the two trips to the store, this room took about 6 hours to pull together. That includes painting, making the art work, rearranging and hanging. But I'm sure I spent several hours over the past couple of months creating a vision in my mind, as well.
A few of you have asked me specific decorating questions. I am not sure that I am the best source. But I do have a lot to say! I love personalizing our home. I will try to create a post with answers to specific questions later this week!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

That looks wonderful! I love the red frame, and your sihouettes look very nice in the space you chose. Great way to roll with the punches. :)

Anonymous said...

You have a knack there, you know...

Unknown said...

Hi there,
My name is Kim and I am new to blogging. I am out taking a look around. The name of your site caught my eye because it is my husbands cell phone ring!
Your decorating is nice. I love the plate/picture frame about the fireplace. I am the mother of 4 girls and know that it takes a long time to get around to each room! Us moms are busy for sure but it is worth it!
Hope you aare enjoying this spring.
~KSR~ of rosscountrycottage