Monday, April 14, 2008

We're home!

We're back from seeing family. What a tiring week it has been! I was at the hospital a portion of every day this week, with the exception of one day that we set aside to take the children to a museum. My precious husband watched all three children with little help from anyone else! That's a big accomplishment for a working dad that is not used to the particular demands of motherhood! I am so thankful. He gave me a wonderful gift to be able to see my grand mom and spend precious time with my mom, dad, brother and many other family members. I heard family stories that I have never heard before. Who knew that I have a great uncle that loves all the things that I love...oil painting, music, etc.? This week provided me with the first opportunity in over eight years to have meals alone with my Daddy. Why would he want to be alone with me when he has three grandchildren in town? :) We had conversations that were deep and rich (and touched on topics beyond that of a 7, 5, and 1 year old's interests).

I also saw some things that saddened me deeply. My very active, very spunky grand mom is sick and feeble. I have no idea how she is still alive, except that she is so strong and determined! She has had no kidney function, no fluids or food, and been on oxygen all week. Her days are shortly numbered now. She sure is determined to talk, and tells everyone "you sure are sweet" and "I love you lots" over and over again in her southern accent. This may be the first time I have seen her without makeup, jewelry and flawless hair. We are all amazed that at 85 she has zero wrinkles. I am not exaggerating, her skin is incredible. Anyway, I loved every minute I spent with her this week and with my family. We finally had to come home yesterday. Home has never seemed so sweet. I missed my bed and our dinner table. I also missed time alone with my four sweeties. We all just looked around and smiled today at lunch.

I'll have to post about our other drama this week in a later post. My husband's mother was also hospitalized this past week and had surgery this morning. When it rains, it pours, I guess!


Jennifer said...

Yes, it's an unwritten law, that rain that pours.

I'm so glad you got to have that sweet time with family. It's funny how you can slip into that life again without much effort at all... and right back again. Time is so relative - in some ways it feels like another lifetime, another person who lived those childhood years - and then again, in other ways, it seems like the other day, and that child is still here somewhere popping out from time to time!

Heaven will be very good... finally we'll be able to put it all together into one cohesive whole! What a gift your grandmother has been given to be able to truly die well, with her family around her, knowing them and able to speak. I could hope for the same!

Enjoy your time together - coming back home IS wonderful, isn't it? said...

So good to hear that you are back safe at home again! I've missed hearing from you in your blog! So sorry again to hear about your sweet grandma but really glad to hear that the time was so precious and very well spent. May God bless you and shine upon you during this trying time. :)

Jackie said...

What a precious time you had. I'm praying for you and your family as you go through these difficult times.

MorningSong said...

What a blessing to have time to really connect with your family. Even if the time was not one of celebration - God has a way of drawing out what He wants drawn out. Even if it is just the understanding that a gift, such as a hobby/talent, was purposely passed on through you!

Blessings and rest to you!

RHB said...

praying for you! Love you!