Thursday, August 23, 2007

The women's event

Next to being a mama and a wife, the ministry that is top priority for me right now is the women's ministry at our church. It is the little arm of our church Body that God has called me to right now. I am increasingly passionate about my role as each day goes by. This year I am the Event's Coordinator as I think I have mentioned before. This Saturday is our big fall kick-off. I am so thrilled to be a part of it! I haven't written much lately because I have spent my mornings and afternoons creating centerpieces, running to Michael's and the pottery store and Target, and praying. I have spent long, wonderful hours talking to Jesus about the big and little details of our day. Did I mention I am excited?

I am so energized for several reasons. The primary reason is that women need one another. Pretty obvious, huh? But we do! I want to do my VERY BEST in planning this event because I desperately want the women in our church to be drawn to Jesus and drawn to one another. I know only Christ can draw a heart to himself, but he certainly can use us frail, sinful people as His instruments. I want to be used by Him in this area. So I have bathed each detail in prayer. The centerpieces, the food, the music, the speakers, the presentations, asking, "Lord, what would be best used to attract these wonderful ladies?". I have been deeply blessed this week. And tired, and busy, but blessed for sure. I will post pictures of our big day soon.

It has not been shocking or coincidental that I have received 5 phone calls from ladies in my family or church this week who were literally discouraged to the point of tears. One with an uncurable illness, one with a child that is having trouble adjusting to school, one whose feelings were hurt by another mom, one with health problems, one that feels inadequate. It just reaffirmed my commitment to pray for and love the women in our church, as well as my family and friends and especially the non-churched friends. Here is a quote by Dobson that saddens and inspires me,
"A century ago, women cooked together, canned together, washed clothes at the creek together, prayed together, went through menopause together and grew old together. And when a baby was born, aunts and grandmothers and neighbors were there to show the new mother how to diaper and feed and discipline. Great emotional support was provided in this feminine contact. A woman was never really alone. Alas, the situation is very different today. The extended family has disappeared, depriving the wife of that source of security and fellowship. Her mother lives in Connecticut and her sister is in Texas. Furthermore, American families move every three to four years, preventing any long-term friendships from developing among neighbors. And there's another factor that is seldom admitted: American women tend to be economically competitive and suspicious of one another. Many would not even consider inviting a group of friends to the house until is was repainted, refurnished or redecorated. As someone said, 'We're working so hard to have beautiful homes and there's nobody in them!" The result is isolation- or should I say insulation- and its first cousin: lonliness."

I am praying for rich, deep relationships to form as a result of our event this Saturday. I would like to see the women in our church feel warmly embraced and loved, a reflection of the love lavished by the Father.

PS Promise to soon post pics of the new bedroom. I never think to take pictures until it is dark and the lighting is terrible. If not tomorrow, this weekend I will take pictures. (Sorry Wendy for the delay! You should post pics of your new bedroom, too!)

1 comment:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Your prayer life has been such a wonderful challenge to me. Thank you for sharing these moments and prayers with us.