Sunday, August 05, 2007

My #1

I did not want to forget to write about my dear first born son reflecting on his little life, specifically his last year since he just turned seven. As we would all say of our little ones, he is a miracle! I say that specifically for him because he has overcome many medical issues, most of which he knows nothing about. I am not sure how or when we will explain the specifics of his medical history, so until I figure that out I will remain nonspecific. But I will say that his physical abilities, while still a slower than average, have defied our expectations. And his social awareness is beyond his years, which is beyond explanation. He is a constant reminder of God's grace and mercy.

While he was the most fussy and non-social baby on planet earth, he grew into a precious little toddler. He was still extremely fearful and slow to warm up to strangers, but compliant and tender-hearted. He has been extremely verbal and a fast learner from day one. God captivated his heart at four years old in the deepest and most profound way. From the day He accepted Christ, I have never heard him doubt his salvation, which is truly remarkable. He has deep faith in Jesus and has had a heart for others to know Him since I shared the gospel with him. (After praying with me and exclaiming, "I'm a Christian! The angels are having a party for me in heaven!" he asked, "What about #2? Does he know about Jesus?") And then a year later he shared the gospel for the first time at the playground. It went something like this. Smooch! (The girl beside him squished a mosquito on her arm and blood splattered everywhere.) He says, "You know who else spilled their blood?..." And the rest is history.

As I have blogged before, he asks amazing, insightful theological questions. While that passion for real facts runs deep, he has an incredible imagination. He has all the typical traits of a first born: cautious, caring, nurturing, giving, pensive, people-pleaser. He is a very gifted reader, memorizer and story teller. (His last story that he narrated for me to write down lasted 20 minutes, no lie!) He warms my heart with his enormous blue eyes and statements like he made at our Day Out With Thomas. "Mama, can I have some ice cream? I really want it, but if we don't have the money it's okay. Really, Mama, that would be okay." Bless his heart. Or my favorite from school, "Mama, Ellie is really beautiful. But I would never have the nerve to tell her." All I could think is, "One day your Ellie will come. And she will adore you and be the luckiest girl alive!"

That's my #1 in a nutshell. I adore him and could hardly make it a day without him around. He points me to Christ and tugs at my heartstrings! I praise God for allowing us to share life with him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done a remarkable job raising and training him, Renee. He is sweet and well-mannered, and kind. Andperhaps a little flirtatious:). I don't know. Anna does seem to get kinda giddy around him....

MorningSong said...

Such a blessing! What a great celebration! Happy Birthday Jaybird! You are truly a blessing!

What a great story about the mosquito! It is clear the moment of Salvation was true and is deep within him! Thank God for that!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

What a thoughtful look at your son. It is clear that he has such a heart for God and those around him. This is a beautiful reflection on him.