Saturday, August 18, 2007

The tide comes in

"A Passing Glimpse", by Robert Frost
I often see flowers from a passing car that are gone before I can tell what they are. I want to get out of the train and go back to see what they were beside the track. I name all the flowers I am sure they weren't: not fireweed loving where woods have burnt, not bluebells gracing a tunnel mouth, not lupine living on sand and drouth. Was something brushed across my mind that no one on earth will ever find? Heaven gives its glimpses only to those not in position to look too close.

As my man and I compared calendars for this fall, I realized that we are "there". We are in that place where we are willing and able to extend our ministries a little more out from under this roof and into the lives of those outside our family. This new place is very exciting for us both, but a little scary as well. We have enjoyed family lunches and dinners almost daily this past year. We will have to sacrifice a few of those as we are separated some nights and off to meetings and commitments. Is this really necessary? Should we really put waves and ripples in the calm little stream that is our life? Well, for us the answer is yes! God has recently called us to make waves and ripples and He will give us the grace to embrace the new tide that will sweep over our house this fall. I have to ask God now to prompt me through His Spirit to obey him graciously and selflessly and not try to hold on to comfort and be selfish with my family's time and affection. May all we seek to do be for His glory! I am clinging to this verse (and maybe you can remind me of it when I struggle in a couple of months, because I am sure I will!):
2 Corinthians 4:15
"Yes, everything is for your sake, so that grace, as it extends to more and more people, may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God."
*Update on #3 and her eating/sleeping:
God has been so gracious to us. We weaned #3 cold turkey starting Tuesday morning. This little baby had never had a bottle, as you know. She went directly to the sippie cup and took it like a pro. She took whole milk just fine, so we never had to mess with formula. She did surprisingly well, confused, but compliant on Tuesday. She slept until 6:30 that night! Wednesday she had a hard time going down for naps without breastfeeding. That day was the hardest and she woke up at 4:30! But I was determined to stick to what I felt like God wanted me to do which was wean her. The next day on Thursday she did great and the same on Friday, sleeping until around 6:00 each night. Today I have not had to pump at all and it has now been 5 days since she nursed and she has slept much better. For various reasons, I have not slept as well as I hoped, but I know I will. I expected her to be very stressed, but she has actually been much more relaxed and lessed anxious than before. She had her first babysitter (at least the first one when she was awake) on Friday and did not cry a peep and went down for her nap just fine. We are all very relieved and thankful! Thanks again for the encouragement and prayers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick visit...
I am so glad to hear that the baby is doing well with weaning. I remember clearly this one night 10 years ago, when Claire was a baby, and I was struggling with those sleeping issues. I remember praying about that particularly one night as she cried, and learning a very valuable lesson: our faith is PRACTICAL. God is very real, and He is interested in more than just ethereal notions and philosophy! The Bible says "He gently leads those who are with young." That night I realized with clarity that God wanted to give me practical wisdom, and it was not beneath Him to answer my prayers. I read a quote recently, "Nothing is so secular that it cannot become sacred." Even weaning and sleeping.

Hyperactive Lu said...

Yeah! So glad to hear!