Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bee brain

Give me a meal to cook, a troubled-friend to talk to on the phone, a toddler on the hip, and two boys working out math problems at the table and I am good. I can do those things all at once. But, give me a bunch of events on my plate all at once and you will find me staring into space.

Right now, I am preparing for an end-of-the-year reception for the boys at our farm this weekend. (This requires making costumes for their history reports, finishing their portfolios, buying lots of food, and that kind of thing.) Straight from the farm, we leave for the beach for seven days. I haven't packed ONE SINGLE ITEM. And after those two trips I am anticipating my children's birthday parties (in July, August, and September). Not to mention, my role at VBS and the preparation I am not doing. And then there are the decisions I need to make for school curriculum next year and the planning. Did I mention I am hosting Camp Stinky Feet this year? And finally, I can't put off the preparation I need to do for my big summer consignment sale in July.

Who says summer is restful?? Actually, in spite of the ongoing stuff, I love summer. The only thing that is hard is that my kids go from being creative and easily-entertained to little parrots that ask, "What are we doing today?" Something about having the entire day to play freezes them up.

My usual motto is to finish one thing at a time and focus on that thing. But right now, my schedule requires that I work on many of these tasks at once. My brain feels like bees in a beehive with ideas and thoughts buzzing around and bumping into one another. It makes me dizzy. I am definitely NOT the multi-tasker!

No comments: