Monday, June 22, 2009

Reception raves

Last Saturday we had our end-of-the-year reception with family at the farm. I wanted the boys to have an outlet to share their accomplishments from the year, but I was a little anxious about doing so with our family. I feared the kids would be bored or uninterested and the adults might think it was silly or selfish. But, neither was the case!

We decided to play all day, and then have the reception before dinner. Our family arrived at the farm around 11 in the morning. There were scattered rainstorms, but no lightning. So we let the kids play in the puddles and rain. They also played on the new swing set Poppy installed, the pool, the slip and slide, and the four wheelers. Some other fun was had playing badminton, volleyball, and soft ball. And, the boys favorite activity was when Andy took them on a hike to find snakes and craw fish at the creek.

And let's not forget the food. Burgers, fresh veggies from the garden, my brother's ribs, and more were served in excess. And Mimi brought a cake in honor of our year. My Dad just had an old shed torn down and rebuilt it into a big, screened porch with rocking chairs. It was the perfect get-away from the occasional rain storm or the bugs.

During our "presentation", my family was so attentive and interested! They seemed proud and eager to hear what we had done together. None of our nieces or nephews are home schooled, so I wasn't sure what their reaction would be. They each poured over the pictures and school work in the boys' portfolios. They asked questions. They were good listeners. And, the boys did a fabulous job on their history reports!
At the end of the presentation, the kids each got a certificate. Besides working hard in school, they each received special recognition for what I've seen develop spiritually. Jaybird was recognized for being an outstanding servant to me this year. His help and good attitude was amazing. Toot was recognized for always being eager and willing to learn. I do not remember a day when he wasn't excited to start school. And Lydie was recognized for coming a long way in learning to be patient with Mommy when I am teaching, and for being willing to share my time so well.

Now I feel like our school year is really over. With a relaxing vacation and the first day of summer officially beginning yesterday, I am ready for some lazy days at the pool. This school year was challenging and not always smooth, but I can look back and see how each of us has grown and how we have been blessed as we have learned together. God has been so good to us to guide us along and make this journey fun and interesting.

No comments: