Thursday, June 04, 2009

Just us, looking in "the same direction"

We have made date nights a priority around here. We have three children. So it works well to designate a date night (Friday is ours). And then we alternate dating each child and the last Friday Andy and I have our own date. We have done a few one-on-one outings with the kids over the years, but never on a regular basis.
Last Friday was our first time. Andy suggested that Jaybird and I take the first date. My son asked if we could see Night at the Museum at the Imax theatre. Even though we couldn't actually talk in the theatre, we had great, focussed/uninterrupted conversation in the car. Plus, it was nice to just be together. We shared some candy and good laughs. These nights might just be the highlight of our summer!
This is just one of many attempts to wrestle with time.

Slow down!!!


"Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction."


~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand, and Stars, 1939

3 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

What a beautiful idea! I can't wait to hear about all the others! I've never thought about doing that with my boys but I can see how they would LOVE, LOVE it -- even at 2 and 4 years old! :)

By the way...you look SOOO gorgeous in this picture!! And always, I'm sure, just wish I could just walk up the street and see you every day like I used to! Guess our house is on the market again...just might have to move back into it again! :)

Paula said...

That is a wonderful idea!! I like the pictures you have made for your wall. What a neat idea!! Your kids have changed since I have visited in awhile. They are adorable.

Jennifer said...

Ooo... I think I may steal your idea. : )