Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Camp Stinky Feet

Tonight my nephew arrived for our first annual "Camp Stinky Feet". I read an article in Family Fun magazine about grandparents holding camps at their house for their grandchildren during the summer. Immediately, without hesitation, I call my sister-in-law and invite my nephew. My family won't miss out, by golly! It sounded so fun!

I do this quite often. I get a great idea and act on it without forethought. Honestly, I have wondered many times since that phone call a month ago what I was thinking! I am a little nervous to add another little critter to the mix. But I am also excited for the kids! Our nephew is 6, just 9 months younger than Jaybird. So the three little men are all within 2 years apart, stair stepped. My hope and prayer is that this will be the beginning of a tradition for every summer of their childhood. I hope they can look back on these weeks with fond memories. And we can't wait until our other little nephew can join the crew next summer. He is three and doesn't meet camp criteria. (Must be beyond napping age and potty trained.) :) And in a few years there will have to be a second camp for girls. Oh my goodness!

Camp Stinky Feet lasts from dinner tonight until lunch time Saturday. I wrote out an agenda, literally keeping them busy every hour of each day. Our activities include: canoeing, roasting marshmallows, swimming, trips to various parks, Monkey Joes, the Play Place, board games, arts and crafts, catching fireflies, bike rides, baking, water balloon fights, playing in the creek, a cookout, a trip to the farmer's market, and Daddies and Donuts. The idea is to tire them out so that they sleep well! So...here goes nothin'! Pictures and adventures to come!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Which Family Fun was that in? I missed that article. And what do you do with the 2 younger ones since they are not old enough? And, 1 more question...where is the Farmer's Market you go to? I went to one last Saturday and was really disappointed. Sorry for all the questions, but you really sparked my interest. Have fun! :)

RHB said...

Sounds like a great idea! Hope you have fun!