Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A week on the coast

Our vacation this year was one of my favorites. Vacations just get better and better as the kids get older. We slept late almost every day. We spent from 10-4 at the beach and pool. The boys loved the ocean, swimming to the sand bar together. I was a little nervous about their fearlessness. But there was a green flag every day and the water was beautiful. Lydie enjoyed the sand. And we all enjoyed the pool with its waterfalls and twists and turns.

Each night after showers and rest time, we went out to dinner. Mimi declared the week a "no cook week" and we stuck by that rule. What a treat to not have to cook or clean the kitchen! We ate fish and shrimp to our hearts content, along with a variety of tropical drinks.

Andy came down late Tuesday night (really early Wednesday morning) to join us. We were so excited that his work trip out of town was cancelled and he had vacation days to use! One of my favorite memories was our date night. We just walked on the beach, hand-in-hand and talked. We also had time alone with the boys for an entire day at the water park. That was so much fun! They were old enough this year to brave the slides by themselves. And I had a shopping day with just the girls- Mimi, Lydie and me. And Mimi allowed me to enjoy an afternoon alone getting a pedicure and reading 4 magazines cover to cover! We also played mini-golf (3 times) as a family! And we did a night time crab hunt with the flash lights. It was our typical schedule at the beach. I loved every minute of it! There's nothing like the Gulf coast in the summer!
"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choice less as a beach- waiting for a gift from the sea."
~Anne Morrow Lindbergh

4 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

How wonderful!! In my mind, there is nothing more amazing than time spent at the ocean! Especially with loving family by your side!

Sounds like it was a beautiful mixture of everything! What a blessing! :)

Wendy said...

I agree about vacations getting better and better as the kids get older.

BTW, this is a great picture of you w/your kids!

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture - very BEACHY!

I think I recognize that quote from one of my favorite beach reads: Gift From the Sea. Am I right? A friend sent that one my way many years ago, and I've always been thankful!

We were just considering a late summer/early fall beach trip. Your post made my mouth water. :)

Renee said...

Yes, Jen. A Gift From the Sea is right. Hope you get that trip to the beach!!