Saturday, June 27, 2009

Half full or half empty

We are preparing to buy home school books for the fall. We are saving from here and there and trying to find ways to "raise" money. Today we had a garage sale. The boys and I decided to pray for $300. We got up at 6:00 and got set up. It was sweltering today and so sticky and humid! The boys and I prayed and prayed all day, $300, $300, please Lord!

By the end of the sale we barely scraped by with $150. I was very encouraged by the boys' attitudes. They were happy to have made some progress, and told me frequently it was "better than nothin' ". I took the unsold sofa and chair to a home consignment store, so who knows what the end total will be when we get the money for the furniture. I am thankful that we can experience these things together as a family. I feel like the way we handle these situations are what these boys will mimic in adulthood. Will they tend to handle bumps in the road with anger, rejection, pouting, throwing in the towel? Or will they tend to care less about the outcome and more about glorifying God?

Today's unmet goal was a good reminder for us all, that the Lord is always providing on His set scale. Sometimes that scale is enormous and beyond our imaginations. And sometimes, honestly, it can be disappointing. Nonetheless, He is at work and He is in control. And it feels amazing to just trust Him-blindly. Although I want my own way, (that is, I want to have the money so I can buy the books and start planning!), I am glad to have to draw closer to Him to trust and find comfort in Him. I feel very grateful tonight for a day well spent.

"In His heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Proverbs 16:9

No comments: