Monday, January 28, 2008

Transportation unit

I posted at the beginning of the year some ideas for a farm unit with preschoolers. I was not sure if there is an interest, so I haven't posted any other units from my homeschool plans with Toot. But we just enjoyed a 2 week transportation unit very much. If you have a child that is 3,4 or 5 and interested in "things that go", you may find it useful.
About our "school"...We do about 15 minutes each of writing, reading and math. We have devotions and memory work as a family. The boys have a sports gym class and we listen to every kind of music from the library. For Toot's read-alouds I am following the recommendations on the Charlotte Mason ambleside website. Other than that, we do these little units. They incorporate science, a little history, poetry and art projects. **If you have general art supplies and car and train toys around the house, this unit will cost you nothing! Even the field trip is free of charge! So, here's our transportation unit.

Day 1- Define the word transportation
Play an "I'm thinking of a type of transportation that..." guessing game
Introduce our poem for the unit: Truck Tunes by Bobbi Katz
Read aloud: Going by Plane (Susan Ashley)
Project: make paper airplanes and test them on the porch (The Paper Airplane Book)Day 2-Review from day 1
Share Look Inside: Cross Sections Trains and discuss different types of trains
Read aloud: Trains (Gail Gibbons)
Project: play with wooden trains together and listen to The Caboose Who Got Loose on audio tapeDay 3-Review
Read aloud: Cars (Hal Rogers)
Project:Tracks painting: dip hotwheels or toy tractors in paint and zoom across the paper in patterns
Look under the hood of the car
Day 4-Review
Read aloud: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (Virginia Lee Burton)
Project: Use paper squares, circles and rectangles to create a car/train collage
Day 5- Review
Read aloud: Katy and the Big Snow (Virginia Lee Burton)
Talk about boats and floating
Float/sink different types of objects in the kitchen sink

Day 6- Review
In My Neighborhood: Fire Fighters (Paulette Bourgeois)
Field trip: local fire station

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the 2 wk transportation kit? Great ideas! Bubbie would love it!

Renee said...

I just made it up. I used to be a teacher so there were a few books that I loved (Virginia Lee Burton and Gail Gibbon's books), other wise I just found books at the library and planned around them.

Anonymous said...

Hey! You're such a good, fun, mommy/teacher. Who wouldn't love to go to your school? :)

Commenting on your comment at my bookblog today... I wanted to be sure you knew that the review of that book was done by a guest and I have NOT read that book, so I can't personally attest to it being good myself. I always enjoy her blog posts, though, and she is a Christian, but I can't vouch for the review personally.

I know what you mean about these kinds of books. Some of the very ones that are supposed to bring me edification and encouragement end up making me feel more burdened than ever! So you do have to be careful. There has to be something in between that kind of thing and the "fluff" that also exists out there.

Buffy did mention that the book seemed geared towards the "large family" type, but she felt that it could also be useful to others, if you let it. Buffy is a newly married thirty-something (first marriage) and she is trying to get pregnant but at the moment is still working. So I figure if SHE can read it and enjoy it, so can I.
When I get the time. I'm like you - books piled up waiting. I simply cannot justify buying anything right now! I'll just put it on my growing list...