Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sweet treats

Tonight as I read from the computer, Lydie sat in my lap facing me. She is entertained with a Mason jar and jingly items dropping in and out. Our house is so peaceful tonight. I can hear the boys pretending to be knights. The dishwasher and soft music from the kitchen are the only other sounds in the house. I have an Amazon box waiting to be opened with two new, challenging books. I have a brownie and a cup of coffee on the endtable for dessert. Sweet little treats are all around me!
Lydie is practicing a plethora of new words that she has added to her expanding vocabulary this month. She sees a baby. She says, "Ba-ba!" And I agree and ask, "Are you my baby?" And she says, "No!" "Are you my big girl?" She nods her head yes and says, "Oh!" She then points and squeals, "Dog-dog!" "Da-da!" "More" Then she tries to touch the computer mouse. When I reprimand her she says, "Me?" And then she whines and grabs her doll. She starts to walk away, and then she smiles over her shoulder and says, "Doll-doll!"
Our life is flying along. We decided to measure the children's heights just recently. They had all grown 1-2 inches since October, with Toot leading the pack at a full 2" of growth in 3 months! Another sign that time just won't stand still. Our Jaybird is also growing by leaps, but more so in his little mind. His theological discussions still fill us with wonder and joy. Tonight at dinner we discussed how God is omniscient. He seemed to understand the concept (as well as a human mind is able), and most assuredly will remember his new vocabulary word. Can't wait to see where that word spills out into conversation. And Toot is thriving as well. This year at home has been just right for him. Not only is he reading at a second grade level (and words have never been his gift, he's a numbers kinda guy), but his little love tank overflows. Praise God for all of these gifts in our life!
I have just been persuaded by the baby to get off of the computer as she walked in my room and said, "All-du(done)!" But one last thought...I have been very convicted with purposefully discipling my children and what that needs to look like in our home. Discipleship as a parent...I'm mulling over it and will hopefully write more on that later...

2 comments:

RHB said...

You have 3 precious blessings!Sounds like you are really enjoying them and they are enjoying life!

RHB said...

Do write more about discipling children- I'd like to read it!