Thursday, January 31, 2008

Just not sure...

We have been adding much needed lighting in our house this past month. We used the rest of our Christmas money and added recessed lights to the family room and kitchen, and new chandeliers in the kitchen and foyer. The foyer chandelier was outdated and just needed to be replaced.Remember this great yard sale bargain? (I took a picture of it turned on and off. I like it a lot better turned off! I know, I am so impractical!) Two friends predicted that it would never leave our house...and they were right! It is simple and a good fit for the foyer.But the kitchen lighting...I love the recessed lights. There are four, and who knew four little round lights could add so much warmth? I like this black chandelier, and black is definitely the color I am looking for. But the globes (is that what they are called?). I'm not so sure about them! My husband thinks they look old-fashioned, in a bad way. He actually said, "I think my Grandmother had these in her house in the 70s." I think they look sweet and fun and cute, in a cottage-y way. What do you think? The original globes that came with this chandelier were modern, big, round and had a frosty-swirly pattern. I like solid white or clear. Frosty or twirly frosty are not my thing for this house. So, should I try again with the globes or are they a good fit? I am a straight-shooter, so let me have it! Don't worry, if you hate my choice it will not hurt my feelings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the black. A lot. And I do think they look cottage-y!

We're off to Disney tomorrow - I'll be gone for awhile, but I just had to pop in and tell you! It's supposed to be 80 degrees some of the time, can you believe that? Lets hope it holds out...

Have a great week yourself.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I just clicked back over and realized that the picture had not come up before and I was looking at the wrong thing - I thought you were talking about the black toile. I don't know why that happened, but anyway...

I definitely don't think they look "grandmotherish." They are kinda fun and shabby-chic, if you ask me - but I can see how if your husband has a memory of something LIKE it, it might color how he views them. I say use them for awhile and see how you feel about it and if it grows on him. I think they are the kind of thing that makes a house YOUR home... and one day your kids will remember them especially well since they are uniquely yours.

But that's just my humble opinion - you can choose to ignore it and it won't hurt my feelings!!!