Monday, January 21, 2008

Just what I needed

This weekend my husband chaperoned our church's Winter Youth Conference. Due to exhaustion, bad weather, and the anticipation of lonliness as he has been gone an unusual amount lately, the children and I decided to travel to Mimi and Papa's house for some r & r. I called my husband on the way out of town and said, "I am honestly living beyond myself...and not in a good way." As the baby was also too tired to cope, she had cried at least an hour and a half in the car. I pulled over for ice cream, prayer and a few tears. I have to admit I debated calling my husband, asking him to back out of his commitment, get in his car and come and get us. Thankfully, the ice cream and the break from the car was good for us all. When I picked the baby up to take her inside, shaky and teary, I was encouraged by her little dress. It says, "For I know the plans I have for you." I remembered the rest of the verse, "to prosper you and not to harm you." God's word gave me clarity and the courage to see our trip through. Thankfully, Lydie didn't cry at all the rest of the way. And the weekend only got more peaceful.
Saturday I literally spent the entire day in my pajamas watching the television and playing with the kids when they crossed my path. I had to change positions frequently to avoid numbness! I did get up after dinner for a bubble bath, if that counts for movement! Sunday was also very restful and we enjoyed our time with family. Would you believe I slept 12 HOURS without interruption on Friday night? I could go on, but needless to say, I am physically refreshed. I am so thankful for a break! This parenting gig is not for wimps!

4 comments:

RHB said...

I couldn't agree more, this gig isn't for wimps. Glad you had a nice restful couple of days!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your openness and honesty. I love that little dress... too cute! I'm glad you were able to get some sleep and rest. :)

Anonymous said...

My hubby travels quite a bit, so I can empathize with you! I hope this week will be much better!

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful. Sometimes family visits can be exhausting themselves! I'm so glad you're feeling refreshed. These things seem to come in spurts, so hopefully soon things will calm down for you and your husband both.
I've been there before and I'm sure we'll both be there again - you're exactly right, parenting is not for the faint of heart!

Love that little dress, by the way...