Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dizzying darkness

Today I spent some time talking with a couple of friends, sharing war wounds and prayer requests, sipping up refreshment. I spoke of my friend whose husband's affair was just unapologetically unveiled, a hometown hero whose little toddling boy drowned in the family pool, a person very close to me dealing with addiction, a church member in the midst of surgery facing a double mastectomy. The darkness of this world was swirling around me, almost making life dizzy today. So much brokenness in the lives around me. Carrying these burdens, sharing them hand
in hand or through prayer, can feel almost unbearable. The thankfulness I feel for healthy bodies and relationships is not enough relief. I remember these prayers swirling around in my mind and on my heart today and feeling like I needed to cry out.

It is times like this that I am so deeply grateful that I am not made to be alone. Tonight the house is quiet and I have time to meditate on this nagging desire for deep encouragement. I read tonight this quote and my hope began to be renewed.
"Teach us to place our happiness in Thee, the blessed God, never seeking life among the dead things of earth, or asking for that which satisfies the deluded; May we prize the light of Thy smile, implore the joy of Thy salvation, find our heaven in Thee."
Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers

God is so faithful to reveal the marvelous gifts of knowing Him, tasting the grace He has lavished on me through His Son, sending His encouragement through the beauty of His creation and the words of His people. Each day, though marked with sin and sorrow, is so much more full of Hope through the work of His Son. May I not walk around deaf and lame and blind, but with a heart open and waiting and looking for the truth of the gospel that surrounds me!
"For here we have no lasting city, but we are looking for that city that is to come. Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." Hebrews 13:14-16

*Pictured above: Toot spells I-L-O-V-E with blocks. He says, "It was gonna say I love you but I ran out of blocks." These children are such blessings to my soul!

No comments: