Sunday, January 13, 2008

Spiritual Crisis

About a month ago, I learned of yet another pending divorce that has grieved me deeply. Satan is now enjoying another victory, this time involving the leader of the college ministry with which we were involved. The spiritual attacks I have seen on marriages over the past year are enough to alarm anyone. And I don't intend to continue on without a fight. This year, my husband and I will pray about organizing a marriage retreat for our church. I L-O-V-E our church body, particularly my sisters in Christ, and I have had enough conversations with young women to know that the institutions of Family and Marriage do not look like they used to. I wonder how God will use us; young, busy, but eager? We have read many books on Christian marriage, but have no tangible answers for some of the darkness that we have seen this year. I guess we will begin where we always should, and so often fail to, with prayer. Would you join me in praying for the marriages in your church (most importantly for those in leadership), as well as for those of your close family and friends? It's a wonderful place to start...

"Are any among you suffering? They should pray. Are any cheerful? They should sing songs of praise. Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray...The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective."
James 5:13-14a, 16b

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about my old church the other day... the one I grew up in. SO many couples that I knew/know have split up, had affairs, on and on... I can trace it back for years, and now I can trace it into the next generation.

It seems to me that churches have or take on personalities, like individuals. They seem to struggle with their own "issues," and sins, just like individuals. I think. I wouldn't debate that, it's just something I've noticed. And, just as in our own individual lives, there are cycles that need breaking.

Yes, I will be praying for our churches, for mine in particular. It's such a loss for us, such a victory for the enemy, when another family goes under. We should also pray for our children fervently, and the children in our churches as well.

So sorry to hear about these struggles... how painful for it to be such a "visual" for everyone.

RHB said...

I am so shocked and sad to hear about the marriage breakup that you mentioned!We must pray and pray and pray. And even when it looks over- God can restore.