Monday, October 01, 2007

Could I brag on my boy, just for a minute?

My oldest son is in first grade. His first "project" is due tomorrow. He read My Father's Dragon at school and at home. His teacher asked us to complete a diorama and write a few sentences describing the funny lion scene from the book. (The lion tries to tame his mane by tying ribbons in his hair.) Not only did he do most of the diorama himself, but he thought of the sentences and spelled every word all by himself. (It says: "The lion is trying to tie bows. He doesn't notice my father walking away. My father is proud.") I wrote here about his struggles. Not bad handwriting, considering, and it's only the second month of first grade. I am so proud!
**I need to add a disclaimer and recognize that though I should brag about Jaybird's hard work, mostly I should recognize GOD'S FAITHFULNESS to answer our prayers and give him a heart and mind that wants to learn! His diagnosis as a toddler stated that he would always be weak in fine motor skills, and it does my heart good to see God prove even a diagnosis wrong and grow him in this area, as only He can. So may I never boast in anything, but HIS FAITHFULNESS AND LOVE for us!!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Great Job! His handwriting is REALLY good. We are working on that here too, trying to keep the letters on the right lines.

My kids loved that book too! We read the ones that come after it too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the dioramas. Do they ever end? :) Usually they are "parent projects," so that is awesome that he did it all himself! Wow! I'm impressed for sure.

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments today on my post. I wondered as I clicked "post" if it would make sense to anyone but me. Sometimes a post becomes almost a journal entry, a way to make sense of my thoughts. I don't always go that deep, but this was a culmination of lots of thoughts that were milling around in there, waiting to be put together into some sort of shape! You know how it is... they are there, but where's the time? Anyway, I'm glad someone "got it," at least a little! :)

Abby said...

Yeah, the penmanship is really good! Amabel is not writing anywhere near that well and they are in the same year in school. I know she will catch up, but you should definitely be proud!

Jackie said...

What a great job!