Tuesday, October 09, 2007

He picked ME

Toot's latest masterpiece: A Berry Tree

After a couple of weeks of observing unusual whining and disobeying from Toot, I asked my husband to pray and watch his behavior closely. A couple of days later we both agreed that Toot has finally realized he is in the middle. No longer the baby and never to be the oldest, he is feeling misplaced. We began to review what we know of our little guy, mainly that his love language is quality time, that is quality time one-on-one. So we decided to have "date nights" with our boys. Every Tuesday is date night. Last week Jaybird got the first opportunity to be alone with a parent, a rare treat now that we have three little ones. He and his Daddy chose to go hit golf balls at a driving range and a miniture golf course. They followed up with a McDonald's milkshake. It was a big hit!


Our pumpkin pie...see the back of a Libby's canned pumpkin for this yummy recipe

Toot had exactly seven days to count down until his date night. And he counted many, many times! Finally, Tuesday arrived. I assumed he would go with his Daddy and then I would take the boys out alone the next round. But he requested ME instead! His request could only be paralleled to the wonderful day 18 years ago in eighth grade when I was asked to my first dance. Oh, to be picked! So we had a date and we were both beaming all day!

We decided a trip to the train store and Moe's would suit Toot well. He has been a fan of trains for as long as I can remember, at least since his first birthday. He has had three train-themed parties. So today we spent one hour looking at electric train sets and playing with Thomas toys. He got to pick a new wooden train for his own collection. Then we ate a yummy lunch together. What a joy to just listen to this little pumpkin who is usually our quiet child. Here are my favorite things that Toot said today:


  • (As we pulled out of the neighborhood): "So, Mommy, I wasn't the very first one to come out of your tummy, was I?"
  • A couple of miles down the road: "I think we should buy a sleigh. Then we could just fly everywhere." (Why not an airplane?)
  • And then: "Do cars run on batteries?" "What kind of batteries, like toys?" "What do these batteries look like?" **When we got to a parking lot we got out of the car, opened the hood and looked at the engine and battery. That was fun!
  • And finally: "Mommy, you were a good date. How many days until we do this again?"

When we came home, we had our homeschool lessons. After some math and reading review, we read this book about pumpkins and made a pumpkin pie together. Every time I turned my back on Toot I felt a squeezing hug around the legs. And when he pulled up a chair beside me to cook I was the recipient of many kisses on my hands and cheeks. I think it is safe to say that his little love tank was running over. I cherish these days when my children wear their hearts are their sleeves. Life is so simple at this age. What a day!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

What a precious time! I think we moms sometimes forget to enjoy our kids. We let the dads have the fun while we get the "important" stuff done. You did good, Mama!

Anonymous said...

So sweet. It seems with children, the more you "love on" them, the more they LOVE you, with all their little hearts. You're a wise mama to watch and make a study of your child.

Today Jack said, "Mommy, you are my best (say "beth-t"), best, best, best, best, best, best FRIEND!" Out of the blue. Which is, of course, the best time to have it said to you. :)

You're right, these make for great days!