Friday, October 05, 2007

Forgiveness

As I have mentioned before, Jaybird's school is amazing. He is in a little first grade class of 8, but the curriculum is meticulously well-thought. It is crafted for every type of child. The teachers truly look at our little ones as image-bearers of God. They are treasured. More than that, the principal of the school is incredibly gifted. She loves little ones more than any person I have ever met. She greets my shy little boy every day with a high five. She knows he doesn't give hugs freely. She never forces, but always meets him right where he is. I love this woman, a sweet sister in Christ.
Every Thursday Jaybird comes home with the school newsletter. At the end is "The Principal's Place". I want to cut these out of the newsletter and make a journal just for them. Her words are so wise and loving, gently stirring my sinful heart. Here is an excerpt from the newsletter from yesterday. I hope it encourages you, or at least brings you hope later when you might need it!
"Take a moment to remember the four promises of forgiveness.
1. I will not dwell on this incident.
2. I will not bring up this incident again and use it against you.
3. I will not talk to others about this incident.
4. I will not let this incident stand between us or hinder our personal relationship.
Then take a moment to remember something else: This is the way God forgives you! It's natural for us to read the four promised of forgiveness as another set of laws to which we're presently failing to live up; however, the gospel reminds us that they should be read first and foremost as God's commitment to us because of the sacrifice of His son... Remember that Romans 8:1 applies to you, not just other Christians. "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!" When you accept this and apply it to your own life, prepare to be pleasantly surprised how much easier it will become to apply the four promises of forgiveness to others who have hurt you!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful principles! I think I need to make a poster to hang in the house! Actually, I need to print them on my own heart. I think my kids do better with forgiveness than I do. Hm.
I heard Elisabeth Eliott once say, "Forgiveness is releasing someone from the debt we think they owe us." I think that's it in a little tiny nutshell. So, that's the essence, and now I have the particulars! :)
Thanks for sharing.
Jen

Anonymous said...

postscript...
Just had to tell you that later in the day, after I had read your post, Courtney came home from her homeschool co-op. She seemed fine and happy. Later, I knocked on her door and entered her room to find her with her Bible open and her devotional out. She seemed teary. I closed the door and asked her what was wrong, and as it turns out, she was feeling left out by friends who had been insensitive and thoughtless. It was nothing major, just a lack of maturity on their part, we all have our moments! I was able to talk to her about that, and guess what? I remembered your post, and I just printed the principles out for her.
Can you imagine how much easier life would be if we had been able to learn this at the age of 12? I hope and pray she will begin to understand it. THANK YOU! Hugs are coming to you over the internet...

I also want to thank you for your sweet comments, too. I don't know if I've told you this before, but my Courtney has always been "deep waters," and very "complicated," especially compared to her sister who is what she is, and it's all right there on her sleeve! With girls like Courtney, though, you have to really draw them out, and that is work sometimes, I won't kid you. There are tears over that, too, most of the time. It hurts to have splinters removed, so to speak. But I can see the release in her eyes when it's over. Courtney is not naturally demonstrative, but whenever we have a "drawing out" session, she usually ends up flying into my arms at the end of it. (for Courtney "flying into my arms" is a bit different than for some... it's usually more like I see her wanting to come, but her natural tendencies hold her back, until I open my arms, and then she falls into them... like I said, she is complicated!)
I have learned that these "complicated" ones have a lot to offer, and there is more beneath the surface than you would ever know. It's so worth all the effort. (Just do your screaming into your pillow later.) :) My unsolicited advice is: be her biggest fan and closest friend, and KEEP AT IT! Expect the best, keep your standards high, and "teach casually," all the time. Their spirits may be strong and willful, or sweet and gentle, but either way, it's a privilege to be the one given the instinct by God to lead them, guide them, protect, defend, and encourage them. Your thoughts on your daughter sound just like mine when Courtney was a baby - but you have the benefit of years of motherhood behind you, and that's a good thing definitely in your favor!
Blessings,
Jen

MorningSong said...

Such great words of wisdom. Sounds like you may need to have a 'Principal's Corner' post day! :) We all can use the reminder you shared today!

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your son's school is truly a blessing to all of you!

I wanted to tell you that I hope you have a wonderful time at Disney! I will look forward to reading about it.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Those are some very wise thoughts......good for my marriage too!! =) (ouch) Have a great day!