Thursday, October 04, 2007

Swimming in delight

I have perceived that to be with those I like is enough,To stop in the company with the rest at evening is enough, To be surrounded by beautiful, curious, breathing, laughing flesh is enough, To pass among them, or touch any one, Or rest my arm ever so lightly round his or her neck for a moment what is this, then? I do no ask any more delight. I swim in it, as in a sea. -Walt Whitman
First tastes of fall

This day has been wonderfully exhausting. It started with a long conversation on the way to Jaybird's school regarding Santa and abortion. Yikes! My five year old asked me out of the blue, "Is that Santa man real?" After going through the entire life story of St. Nicolas and the origin of the tradition, Jaybird says, "Well, if St. Nick is in heaven, who delivers the presents?"
Later, Toot remarked on my new bumper sticker. It says, "Let them live!" in support of the human life amendment in our state of Georgia. (If you are a pro-life Georgian, please see http://www.personhood.net/ and support the overturn of Roe vs. Wade!) Any way, I gently explained that some doctors are allowed to take tiny babies out of their mothers tummies. I kept hoping to stop with as little information as possible, but of course my Jaybird was interested in peeling every layer of the onion. I actually ended the conversation feeling very satisfied with the appropriate words that the Lord gave me to share with my innocent, little boys.

When are arrived at the school, we picked up four friends to spend the morning at our house. I have this marvelous arrangement with three friends from church. We trade kids every Thursday. One Thursday a month I have six little ones to care for. The other three Thursdays Toot is having fun with friends, and I have only the baby. The boys love it and the mommies do, too!


After lunch, homework, and a little Star Wars we were off for another playdate. More fun for the children and wonderful fellowship for me! My friend's house reminds me of Toot's art teacher's house. It is so beautiful, unique and warm that it is almost like walking through an art museum. It is always changing and becoming more and more beautiful. How inspiring!


My baby girl (on the right) bullying her little friend. Lord help us point this little sassy thing to you!

When we walked through the door at 5:45, I was so thankful for the pot of soup I had made earlier. I felt so exhausted and I was glad that we could just fall into our chairs and chat a while. Only, the boys reminded me that tonight was the night I had PROMISED apple pie! We have been reading this book and tonight was the big night! So...we made the pie. (Which lead to a trip to the store for milk...and diet coke and paper towels and orange juice.) A warm pie and cold glass of milk is a wonderful way to end a night. Especially when your little boys are beaming and full of conversation and energy. Now the house is quiet. A bath and a good book are calling my name! Good night!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How adorable! I felt the same way. As though my thoughts were spilling out, for a ready listening ear. I love the way Anna has two boyfriends, also. She really does love those sons of yours. And Lydie Bug reminds me of my first-born. That devilish grin and that strong-willed demeanor. A real fighter. Right now: to be tamed. As an adult: untamed for God. That is what we pray for.....

Anonymous said...

One more thing: I found Baby's shoes after you left. They are here. Shall i bring them Sunday???? I am sure that her being the first girl, there are several other pairs of sweet tiny girly shoes around:) :) :)

Hyperactive Lu said...

I love those type of days! :) I need to get in the kitchen and make my own (promised Hubbie) apple pie!

Wendy said...

Sounds like a great day! That pie looks delicious.

Abby said...

I love this book too! And your pie is beautiful. Well done :)