Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Your legacy

"Once you see the face of God, the world is forever transformed into His features" ~Peter Kreeft

Yesterday a precious man from our church went to be with Jesus. His name was Larry, father of two young boys, Christian, servant-leader, husband, and victim to Lou Gehrig's disease. After a five year battle, he received ultimate healing in heaven. Although his family is grieving and we are with them, I am really looking forward to the reception after his funeral entitled, "Celebration of Life". As I have been thinking about Larry's life, for some reason I have also been thinking about my Nana, Lydia's namesake. Since Lydia was born, I think of her more and more. I think of Larry's and my Nana's legacy of embracing life. They were servants, loved, hard workers, good friends.

I have been thinking a lot about the short time we have to serve God in our earthly bodies. I want to take every breath for His glory. I want to bask in His love, praying and meditating on His Word throughout the quick moments of each day. I want to live creatively, which enables me to worship Him in my own unique way. I want to speak and show my love for my family and friends each day, not holding back. I want believers and non-believers to be welcomed in our home, and for us to receive the great blessing of their presence. I want to worship without holding back. I want to be used by God to draw people to the gospel. And the wonderful thing is, that each of my "wants" are attainable through the work of the Spirit! It's encouraging to think about what we want from this life. What do you want?

2 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

What a great time to pause and think about our time here this side of heaven. I loved your comment about serving him with every breath. I am continually focusing on giving Him my day and letting Him lead me through it. So often, I get caught up in ME and need to back up and recognize a bigger plan!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the death of His saints, I want to "die His people's death..." I want to die well, which means living well, of course. We all know that "it is appointed unto man once to die," but it's always such a shock when someone DOES die... we dwell on it briefly, then continue to live as if it will never happen again, least of all, to us. Dying is a part of living, and I want to be unafraid to pray that we will all be ready to die, and be enabled to die well.
Heavy thoughts tonight, but at the same time, they do free us to LIVE like it matters. Because you're right, it does.