Wednesday, January 31, 2007

MEAN OLE DENTIST!

The other day my poor little #1 had to get ANOTHER cavity filled. Apparently he inherited "bad teeth" because this is his 5th or 6th cavity, I've lost count. So he is nervous, after all he knows very well what is coming. I coaxed my husband into watching #2 and took #3 with me. I had her comfortably in the Baby Bjorn and I was ready to hold his hand and give him lots of encouragement.

He is all geared up for bravery and in comes the dentist. He does okay with the shot, although it was the type of area where you have to get the shot in the cheek and the roof of the mouth. Ouch! But when #3 saw the first tear trickle down his cheek, it was like she just knew he was in pain. My easy-going baby began to wail! I had to pry my hand out of #1's and quickly take her out of the carrier and hold her.

Soon #1's tooth was numb and the dentist came back. She proceeded to put the craziest contraption in his mouth. It was the silver ring around the tooth, with a wooden wedge between that tooth and the next and a "parachute" (or big green plastic tent with floss hanging out) over his entire face, in addition to the "happy gas" mask. He began to whimper and reached up and gave the floss a good tug. Honestly, he was not trying to be defiant, I think he just wanted to feel or see what the heck all that stuff was hanging out of his mouth! Anyway, it was no less than evil to the dentist! She proceeded to lecture him for the next 10 minutes on how his actions wasted her time. Then she spoke in a flight attendant, monotonous voice barking her instructions like she had memorized them out of a book and threats (which included wearing a suit to hold down his hands!). She had a look of pure hatred and disgust. I was stunned at first. He was terrified and followed her instructions to keep his hands in his pockets the rest of the time. His poor little feet were dancing around though! And tears were streaming down his face, but he didn't dare make a noise!

After a few minutes I woke up out of my shock and started to let her have it! I remember saying things like, "Why exactly have you chosen children's dentistry?" "Are you trained to work with children?" "Do NOT lecture him another minute on being scared. He gets what you are saying. He wasted 2 minutes of your precious time. LET IT GO!" And I remember telling her that I had been a dental assistant several summers during college and even grown adults get nervous and upset. I also gave her some of the dirtiest glares and looks I could muster. I know I was not exactly gracious, and Lord knows my thought were hateful towards her. But what in the world are people like her doing working with children?

The saddest/sweetest moment was when she pulled everything out of his mouth and he said in a joyful, loud voice, "THANK YOU, JESUS!"

2 comments:

RHB said...

Oh, my gosh! I think I would have come to blows with that lady! I am so glad that you stood up for Jaybird and gave her a piece of your mind and every other mother's that has had or will have that experience with her!

Abby said...

I am so glad you came out of shock. I do that all the time, just let something go on without realizing what actually IS going on! SO good for you telling her to be nice. I bet she will remember, whether she actually changes or not. I hope she will take it to heart though. But I wouldn't go back to her to find out!