Monday, September 21, 2009

Not the colors I was looking for

I was going to celebrate Lydie's birthday by having a pink theme this week on my blog. But instead, we are seeing ugly shades of green, brown, black and gray. We have bronchitis. Not only that, but from the 20" of rain that we have had in the past 5 days, our basement flooded. That's right, t-w-e-n-t-y inches of rain! There is 2" of water downstairs on top of the carpet right now waiting for the men to come tomorrow and dry it up. We spent the evening moving all of the furniture from the school room and Andy's old office. It is now on blocks of wood in the garage, in case of more flooding. I think all of the furniture is unharmed. But, there is more rain predicted every day this week. (Please join us in praying for mercy.) There were 6 fatalities in our area alone today. Due to the basement flooding, reoccurring illnesses, Andy's severe back issues, and other personal issues, I am struggling to find peace tonight.

My daughter turned 3 today. She was all decked out in a pink dress with a big chocolate cupcake in the center. She sang happy birthday to her self all day. She was such a little bubble of delight. She had a good day. We shielded her from understanding our own frustrations. But I will wait until sunnier days to post about her day. We are tired and feel defeated. Just last night Andy and I talked late into the night about the deep joy he is finding in sharing in the suffering of Christ with a certain area of his life. And already tonight, I can not find that joy that was so fresh and real just 24 hours ago! Time for prayer, His Word (clinging to the fact that it "doesn't return void"), and rest. Praying for sunshine tomorrow.
Below are the words that gave us so much hope last night (typed in pink for hope). I am praying it will take root tonight in this weary soul.

Psalm 91

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ...you will not fear the destruction that wastes at noonday....Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place-the Most High, who is my refuge- no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command the angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways...Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver Him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your precious Lydie. Here's praying for peace and health for you and your family. And prayers for your entire area. My husband has taken a job in your area and is already working there. I am still at our home in the northeast with our 2 daughters. We were planning a weekend visit with a trip to Six Flags and American Girl. I am rethinking those plans this evening.

I enjoy reading your blog - as I usually take away a little message. If I leave you my email would you contact me as I would love to ask you a few questions...we'll be searching for a home in the not too distant future.

Abby Hutto said...

You've been in my prayers today! Your story about Lydia's birthday happiness amid sickness and flooded basements convicts my heart. Lydia can afford to celebrate because she knows that she has two wonderful parents who love her, delight in her, and are always working FOR her (not against her). How much more so our Heavenly Father is working FOR us! I am guilty of often looking to my circumstances to dictate how I feel--I need to look towards my Father if I am ever going to find peace in the storms. I will pray that you will be able to see through the snot, the sickness, the wet carpets, the injured husband to see your Father's smiling face. I will pray that you will find peace in the One who is working FOR you.

Alicia K said...

Hoping you found some comfort in the sunshine we had today! When it rains it pours doesn't it, literally. I will pray for peace for you, healing for sick little ones, and for help where you need it in the clean up process.

This is one of the verses that I have turned to recently - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2 - 3.

Praying for you!!