Thursday, September 03, 2009

Living lovely on our 13th anniversary

I almost washed my face, put on some Carmex, and dusted off my jeans and shirt from the day for our anniversary date night. Those jeans and shirt, by the way, had been worn for the 30 minute power walk, to take out the trash, clean the litter box, and as a dirty wipe for various dirty hands. So although I respect the idea of jeans and casual lip gloss on a date, my ensemble was NOT pretty.

Then I remembered Living Lovely. Heidi's challenge this week was to "Get out the good stuff!" So, I reluctantly changed into a dress and heals, washed my face AND reapplied my make-up, and warmed up the curling iron. I am not even sure that my very outdoorsy, farm-loving, laid back husband prefers the dressed-up look over the casual one. But the message I was conveying (and actually verbalized so he wouldn't miss it) was,
"You are special and important and worth the extra effort."

We had a wonderful night at a new restaurant that serves organic meat and veggies from local farms. There was laughter, nostalgia, and hand-holding. Being married to my best friend is my greatest earthly joy. I can not believe 13 years have passed already!
When we came home, still feeling awfully romantic and with notions to "continue the date", we found that the kittens had made a litter box out of our credit card statements. And then they had climbed under the sheets with the mess on their paws! That was the most infuriating, hilarious scene I have ever been witness to. But that's another story! Things aren't always romantic around here. I have to savor the moments...while they last!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I agree that it is exactly that message 'you are important to me and worth the effort' that is the point rather than the actual action. Whether we are giving that message to ourselves, our spouse, our children, a friend, or a stranger....

Thanks for sharing. I always look forward to visiting your blog. :) Now I'm in the mood for a date night... with a little black dress. :)

Sam Duffey said...

Wow I can't believe it has been 13 years. I will never forget your wedding day. It was the day before pref and Chi O was a choice of mine. I will never forget hearing your sisters sing to you at your wedding and you know that id help me make my choice. I just can't believe it has been that long. But never the less, I congratulate you and Andy and wish you many more happy years together.
Amy