Saturday, September 05, 2009

Making a Lovely List: an art collage

Inspired again by Heidi's challenge (make a lovely list), I decided to make a collage. All of the words on the collage answer the question,
"Who or what am I in Christ?"

Honestly, it's the most lovely list I've ever read. It's Jesus' love letters to me and to anyone else who knows Him as Savior. Just reading the words fills me with humility and gratitude beyond measure. What an undeserved phenomenal thing to be loved by Jesus! My childhood friend Tiffany wrote a beautiful post on the same topic. She discovered and shared so many beautiful images from just one Psalm. I used many of her words, among others. And I was also very inspired by my best friend's testimony that she shared at our Women's Ministry brunch last week. She spoke of three gifts that she received before birth (believing she was predestined to be His): innocence, righteousness, and intimacy. Those are words that I didn't even include on the collage! There are too many to fit on the canvas, praise God!!
The best thing about the collage is that there was really only one place for it- the door that leads to the basement. We go through this door every time we begin or finish school. But this door also is in plain view from my bedroom (I can sit on my bed and see most of the words). It is in the hallway that we all travel when we enter and exit the house. And, it is in a spot that can be seen from the kitchen. These are the rooms that I frequent most. I am so excited to have the words as reminders all throughout the day!! I look forward to noting how this little collage has a big impact on me by reminding of the gifts of my salvation secured through the work of Christ. (And the robin's egg blue is definitely a picker-upper, as well. I've had dreams of blue for months.)
I think I will call this little piece of artwork "Basking". It makes me very happy! More than happy, it makes me grateful, rich, alive...the list goes on and on! I hope to be less likely to forget these gifts! And more than that, I hope to be even more often drawn to prayer and moved to live a life with and through Him that is worshipful, purposeful and obedient.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That turned out incredible, Renee! What an awesome example of a 'lovely' list. You can't imagine how thrilled I am to see what you came up with.

Alicia K said...

Love your art project!! What a wonderful reminder of God's gifts to us.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I love your collage!! What a great idea~I'm tucking that idea away in my mind for a possible future project.

There aren't enough words to describle who we are in Christ, are there?!

Tiff said...

This is so beautiful! Wonderful and so inspiring! I need to write it out and see it in plain view...Thank you so much. Thanks for being a friend. You are such a blessing. Just knowing you are doing what you're doing and being what you're being is such a comfort. You were my first friendship founded upon Jesus too and what a treasure that is.

****** "M" said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
How wonderful to be reminded visually, on a daily basis of the loveliness He has brought into our lives.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Beautiful work on your canvas--I love the idea of a collage. I've thought about making one of some favorite scriptures, but I love your idea, too. Thanks for sharing!