Saturday, September 12, 2009

All this from a pile of rocks

We took a pile of rocks and made a new section in our yard for a bench and potted flowers. I have no idea when God will give us the money for the bench (my birthday, maybe?), but Andy and I can envision it all. We woke up determined to get rid of the extra rocks that have been sitting in our driveway since July from another project.
We recruited the children to pitch in. We only have one child who really embraces sweat and hard work. It's more difficult for the other two. But we encouraged one another and made it to the end. There was a little bickering, but we made it. My parents were always very, very aware of the importance of hard work. Through projects like these, my Dad's upbringing in the country with hard manual labor, and my experience with dancing I learned to push through pain. It's nothing I taught myself, but something that was encouraged and took root, by God's grace.

I think it is extremely important to teach perseverance, not just mentally, but physically to my children. I need it every single day as a Mother. And Andy certainly does as a Father as well. I have to ignore fatigue, my own desires, and sometimes pain to do what I am called to do well. Sometimes I fall short, but I have learned to keep pushing. I love the metaphors in Paul's letters that compare this life to a marathon or race.
So we will keep dragging the kids out to join us on these projects, hoping that as they push themselves to do these little tasks they will reap the benefits of being adults that don't quit at the first sign of defeat. And more than that, we hope that they will physically be able to push beyond what they think they can do to accomplish what God calls them to do (and enables them to do). His work takes wisdom and patience first, but also physical strength and determination. And even in these little bodies, I can see glimpses of two men and a lady that are being formed with each passing day! May they use every moment, with all their strength (as well as hearts and minds) to purposefully serve the Lord.
*And now, time for a hot shower...

"It is always too soon to quit." ~V. Raymond Edman

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” ~Hebrews 12:1

1 comment:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Amen!! :)

I love all your mature trees in your yard, it's so beautiful! And your open gate to the backyard looks so inviting!