Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy Birthday, J!

Today my oldest son turned 9 years old. I can not believe we are HALF WAY TO ADULTHOOD! In fact, I think I said that phrase so many times today that I freaked him out a little. Maybe the little crying episode I had when we looked at his baby book this morning contributed, too. What a strange thing time is the way the days are slow, but the years are fast!


I've said before, we love birthdays around here! Jaybird awoke to Daddy's yummy french toast. He was serenaded by many family members over the phone through out the day. Each of those calls are so special to him- he loves his family! We met some friends at Monkey Joe's and the kids spent 4 hours playing and enjoying pizza. This afternoon the boys almost completed Jay's lego set that he got at breakfast! And then we were off to his favorite restaurant for dinner...Fuddruckers! Burgers, apples and birthday cake were enjoyed by all. And we had our traditional topic of birthday conversation, "Name your 3 favorite things about the birthday boy!".


This year, Jaybird stood out as a servant, an honest person, funny, and someone who is quick to share. I reminded him of how he MADE MY WEEK on Monday when he made me breakfast in bed after I was up most of the night with sick Lydie. (He even put blueberries on my granola!) And he's always very honest, which he proved at dinner when he told Daddy the truth about his breath! :) He thanked us over and over again for a fun day and assured me at bed time that this was "a really great day!!".

I can feel his young childhood slipping by and the pre-adolescent years creeping in. (Is it really already time to care about his hair cut and begin to need deodorant?) I look forward to walking this new and mysterious phase of parenthood with him. My heart is bursting with pride tonight. I have been blessed with a magnificent boy! Happy birthday kiddo!

3 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

WOW!!! Tears are rolling down my cheek! What an incredible little boy you have in J!!

I can't believe that T is now the age of J when we met you! WOW! Time does have a crazy way about it! :)

What a beautiful family you have! And what a blessing you all are too!

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy!
I'm right there w/you w/mine turning 9 in Nov. I could completely relate to your words.

Jackie said...

Yes, the days do go slow and the years fast, especially when they are little. And then the days and the years go fast together! Buckle your seatbelt! But what utter blessings! Soon you'll have teenagers in the house, but you are bringing them up right. They will be a joy to be with.

Happy birthday, J!