Thursday, July 02, 2009

The long wait

Yesterday we were forced to take my car to the shop. Because of the holiday, many people were having their cars fixed as well. We were told our problem required an hour and a half of our time.
Since we were in a bustling area of town, we decided to walk a couple of blocks and have lunch together. We were having a ball together when the mechanic called and informed me that my brakes were 99% gone. When I tried to call my husband to tell him, my phone battery died. Now we were several blocks away, in the heat of the day, with no phone. I told the kids we would have to head back. About that time, my boys showed me the awful blisters on the bottom of their feet from the diving board the day before. I dreaded the walk for them!

When we finally returned to the shop, we were now up for a new tire, tire rotation, new brakes, and an oil change...and a three hour wait! When the mechanic predicted a 4:00 departure (we arrived at 11:30), I began to panic internally. Lydie had missed her nap the day before and two days in a row would be brutal. Thankfully, the waiting room had a toy box with some fun books and puzzles, but how long would that help?

I got myself so worked up! Amazingly, the kids were completely content. None of them asked to leave or "How much longer?", not even once. Lydie made a friend (70 year old sweet Grand mom), Toot watched cartoons, and Jaybird found an I Spy book. I was the only one pacing the floors, waiting on disaster, and praying unfaithfully.

I am left wondering, how many times I have worked myself up expecting disaster that never came? I can look back and see so many times that the Lord has turned an uncomfortable situation into something meaningful. Actually, He does this with all things that seem bad! I am reminded of a promise that "He works all things together for good for those who love Him". When I walk into an unexpected challenge, I tend to waste my time worrying or trying to change things. It would be wise for me to go ahead and fully submit myself to whatever the day holds for me, always acknowledging that my day (with all of its twists and turns) is a gift from my heavenly Father!

Gifts from yesterday:
~A great lunch with my kids
~A friendship built between a two year old and a seventy year old
~My wonderful conversation with the same lady sprinkled with loads of encouragement
~Encouragement from my children as I watched them wait patiently
~Time to look at an I Spy book for over an hour with Jaybird
~A fixed car
~A faith-building experience

"We live by faith, not by sight."
II Corinthians 5:7

2 comments:

mjnwa@aol.com said...

Hi Renee, My name is Marty Nystrom and I am the author the kid's book, "Don't Mess with Moses!" that includes the poem "Grandpa is Not a Gorilla." I just wanted to say that is was wonderful to read the story of your son being selected to recite the poem for his school. It was an encourgement to me as a writer. Please give Jay my greeting. God bless!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

What an encouraging story! I LOVE it!! :)