Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lydie and reason

I was putting Lydie down for the dreaded nap (that is, dread for her). And she began with the usual procrastinations, "I'm hungry." "I need to go potty." This particular day I had just taken her to the potty. So I explained to her that she was lying. Trying to explain a lie to a 2 year old is interesting. Here's how it went:
M: "You do not need to go potty. You just went potty. You are telling a lie."
L: "But I need to go potty."
M: "You are telling me a lie because you do NOT need to go potty. Telling a lie is wrong, and I want you to tell the truth."
L: "But...why?"
M: "Jesus asks us to be truthful. So do not lie about the potty."
L: "But...why?"
M: "Because Jesus loves you and he asks you to obey Him."
L: "But...why?"
M: "Because, he loves you. Jesus loves you. Does Lydie love Jesus?"
L: "Well, no."

And this is why I should never try to reason with a 2 year old. All I can do is laugh at her candor.
*Pictured above: Lydie taking a picture of me with her "phone camera".

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

[smile] Keep up the good work, even if it ultimately ends in laughter and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Kids are hilarious!

~Luke

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

:) LOVE that age!! As you said, reasoning is just not quite there!