Wednesday, May 31, 2006

#2 discovers the toaster


Well, we've put our new summer schedule into play. Basically, it begins at 7:00 when the kids get an hour of cartoons in the morning while I take a shower, make my bed, put a load of clothes in, etc. My little #2 is no longer entertained very often by the tube. So this is the second time he has resorted to trying to make his own breakfast. I adore his engineer-like abilities, but he could have potentially caught the house on fire this time! Above is the picture of the instant oatmeal packet that he tried to toast in the toaster. As I was gathering library books from around the house I smelled a burnt smell. I immediately knew he was involved! When I went into the kitchen he said, "Look, I made oat-neal!" He had gotten his cup ready, a bowl out and the packet had just popped up from the toaster. I am so glad that there were no flames! I'm not sure how a paper package did not erupt in the toaster...but praise God for small miracles!

#2 is one of a kind. We have really hit a new independent stage with him. He rebels at being told when and how to run his life. It's kindof funny because I am quite sure that I was the same way at his age. He can make steam come out of my ears...I get so frustrated at him! But I also have to bite my lip to keep from laughing at his little antics. What in the world would I do without the joy and mischief he brings to our family? He reminds me to parent, not out of obligation or for my own good, but out of love for him and for God. He keeps my humble. He keeps the mood light! I love him so much!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Yikes that is a little scary. Sounds like you have to really keep your eyes on him. I am having to do this too, but just in a different stage (see my blog). Your boys are both so cute. I bet you are all getting excited for a little girl too.

Kate said...

YUMMM!! Burnt packs of oatmeal! How funny (scarey too but so funny!)