Monday, May 29, 2006

#1 cracks the DaVinci Code

Last weekend we were in the car on the way to the library. Do you agree that all theological questions are asked in the car , at breakfast or at bedtime? That's always the case in our family. Any way, so we are driving down the road and just when I am trying to maneuver the big minivan into a u-turn #1 says, "Mama, I have a question." I prepare myself for question number ump-teen thousand for the day. Then he asks, "So, did Jesus really get married?" I compose myself. "Where did you hear that?" He explains that last week when we had a meeting about our Memorial day cookout he saw a pretty green paper in a lady's Bible, pulled it out, and read it. Okay, sidenote, his reading is great but there is nothing off limits now. No more sneaking a peak at People magazine in the grocery line, no more spelling out what's for dinner to my husband when carrots are on the menu, no more shielding him from anything that he can get his grubby little paws on! Sidenote #2, we had a big talk about respecting other people's privacy and leaving their papers and Bibles alone!!

So he had pulled out a flyer for "Cracking the DaVinci Code". We had a great discussion about the truth of the gospel, that Jesus was clearly never married, the inerrancy of Scripture, etc. I tried to explain to him that the author of this book was pretending, and in my opinion it is creepy and unnecessary to pretend such things about the Savior of the world. And then he innocently asked, "Will God forgive that man for pretending lies about Jesus?" And that lead to a whole other conversation about forgiveness and how the man would be forgiven if he asked to be, etc. The conversation ended with #1 telling me randomly that there is this one picture of Mary in the woods and that he sees that picture everywhere and he is tired of seeing that one. I have no idea what he is referring to, but that is how the conversation ended and he moved on to the topic of the summer reading club at the library.

I love teachable moments like these! Isn't it funny what theological ground you can cover with a five year old in the 5 miles between Burger King and the library. And how do they go from playing spy detectives on the BK playground to asking such questions 1 minute later in the car? I am so grateful and amazed at how the Spirit is softening his heart to such big truths and how he is learning compassion and finding a heart for the lost. I am kindof in a panic, though, about what kinds of questions he will have at 10, 15, 18. Yikes! Lord, give me wisdom and patience.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I loved this. Not only is it great that he is such a good reader at 5, but that he asks questions like these. Isn't 5 great!

RHB said...

Wow! What an observant little one you have! I would say that you handled the conversation beautifully! And I think that Jaybird has discernment already just to be thinking about that and asking a question like that. It sounds like he knew that Jesus didn't get married and he just needed some clarification and explanation about the book/ movie. Wow! It is so precious that he has a heart for the lost at his age- remember Piaget said they are all egocentric at this age didn't he? I guess he didn't know many little kids that know the Savior of the world!