Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Let's call them "beckonings"

This morning I started my exercise video at 9:30. I either spend 30 minutes with Julian or Leslie, depending on my mood. Chores were done. Breakfast was eaten. Morning school work was explained. Preschooler was entertained. It was time for my date with Leslie.An hour and a half later I finished exercising. I counted 14 "beckonings" during my 30 minute video. Some about school work, understandably. A phone call or two. A need or desire for me to watch or listen from Lydie. A switch from laundry to dryer, plus a moment to balance the laundry so the machine wouldn't bounce all around. Fourteen beckonings.

It made me question my methods. I have determined to sleep later and exercise more for my own health. I am pretty much over trying to impress others with my appearance. I am currently wearing a size 12 (or a snug 10), the largest size ever and one I've been hanging around in for a while. It seems that I have no trouble making friends or captivating my husband. No more or less than when I have been a size 4, 6, or 8. And I am certainly over trying to catch the eye of men. Although I did receive a funny pick up line in the elevator of the hospital last weekend that gave me a really good laugh and made me wish men said things like that more often because it was just SO funny.

I have been talking with God a lot lately about my commitment to "size down". I have chosen mainly two reasons. The first is to be a good steward of this great gift of good health. And, I also want to do my best to gift my children with a healthy parent in the years to come when they need me (or to prolong the years when they will not need to take care of me). Those are two reasons that will enable me to walk away from dessert, drink the 8 glasses of water, and continue through the exercise video no matter how many times I have to press the pause button. After all that thinking, I decided that Yes, I think my methods are okay, after all.
And I was so very glad to read these words yesterday by Ann Voskamp about parenting generations:
"Every day every parent parents thousands. When I raise my voice, frustrated with a child, I speak to generations of children. When I wipe away a tear, comfort, listen, I honor centuries of children. Seeds in the earth, stars in the sky."
Her words actually flowed through my mind each and every time I stopped to help the kids. They allowed me to see the dozen or so needs as beckonings and not interruptions. They lead me along to obedience. I am so thankful.

Now, off to make snacks, correct morning school work, encourage her in her art work, and take a shower. It's going to be a good day filled with many choices. Praying for the discernment to make good ones.
"...present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual act of worship."
~Romans 12:1b
Pictured above is us right now:
Toot playing Lydie's game
Lydie playing toss the beanbags
J working on a book report
Me making snacks, sweaty, no make-up

1 comment:

Abby Hutto said...

You are truly beautiful, inside and out! I love the way you look at being healthy--so "others focused" even in this! This was really encouraging to me. Thanks for your honesty and vulnerability, Renee!