Monday, April 26, 2010

No place like it

It is SO MUCH EASIER to deal with difficult things from the comfort of your own home. I am much more affected by aesthetics than the average person, I am sure. But there is something so calming about being surrounded by your own stuff. When I am sad I love candles, soft music, fresh flowers, and color. Just walking into my kitchen on Sunday evening, turning on a soft lamp, and looking out the back windows at our flowers and woods was medicine for my soul. Having my four loves all to myself for our bedtime routine was glorious. Even the most welcoming of homes, just can't replace Home. I am looking forward to being able to deal with future family crises without having to travel. When someone is in the hospital or needs our help, we will only be an hour away when we move to the farm. No more packing bags or sleep overs during these times. We can go and serve and then come back, all in a "quick" drive. We will not have to ask so much of others. That will be so nice.


Even though we are busy as bees with school, activities, and the usual, this week I am focusing on rest-if nothing else, for my weary soul. This morning in the shower, I found myself singing the hymn below. I haven't heard it in years. It was like a gift I enjoyed over and over again throughout the day. Our home is cozy and reflects my tastes and comforts from top to bottom. It's a haven and I truly love being here. But its only a touch of the warmth, assurance, and belonging I feel as a believer in Jesus Christ with the promise of an eternal home. One day, no more sorrow or pain. What a comfort!

Jesus, I am resting, resting.

In the JOY of what Thou art.

I am finding out the GREATNESS

of Thy loving heart.

Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee.

And Thy BEAUTY fills my soul.

For by Thy TRANSFORMING greatness

Thou hast made me whole.

No comments: